The big one is coming say preppers

Any thoughts on Russia seems the inflation there might be getting close!

http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Aban...25+Inflation+in+a+Single+Day/article37003.htm
I'd define hyperinflation as inflation that runs out of control to the point where a currency is completely demolished, rather than a brief strong period of inflation bought on by a large swing in exchange rates. I think Russia will come out of this period ok (with their currency intact), their balance sheet appears to be in a much better state than many western countries.

A few years ago it was Hobo Jo, full of gloom and doom about property and bullish about gold. He/She seems to have gone a lot more quiet after he/she bought property in the last year or so.
Still bullish on Gold (especially so in AUD), bearish on some Australian property (cyclically: Sydney, Melbourne & Perth). Bearishness turning to neutral for Adelaide and if the stars align I may be back in the market to buy again within the next couple of years, but haven't done so yet.

Don't have a background in finance/economics but appears that it's not great news for the Aus property market. If I have cash stashed in offset, I should just leave it there rather than invest it in more property as cash is better in the event of another GFC?

I don't think its that simple. That is one option of course, but not the only one.

didnt want to start a new thread, but weve had this discussions before, but the market sentiment changes all the time

assuming that we dont have a massive influx of overseas investors or some other major policy change,

we see that many suburbs ar enow hitting medians of $1m+

along with every person under 35 saying how expesnive it is and how they will never be able to afford one. and yes this is a expecations vs reality argument for a nother day,

but as peoples expectations and priorites change as time goes, sure, as time goes by the decent sububs are now deemed unaffordable to the average person

doesnt this mean that relatively affordabled properties will stay in demand while the more expensive ones will stagnate becasue its simply unaffordable and has far less demand

imagine in 10-20 years time where a slightly above average suburb now which an average person who could afford if they really work hard to save and overextend themsevves, will now be unaffordable,

so the most affordable house will be something 1.5 hours by public transport away and is a run down 2 bdr, which in my parents age was normal, but un acceptable in 21st century standards

imagine in 10-20 years time where a slightly above average suburb now which an average person who could afford if they really work hard to save and overextend themsevves, will now be unaffordable,

yes that suburb will gentrify. The city effectively gets built out, they will raise densities in inner city areas which may provide a solution. It seems to me that Australia is failing to expand. There is really only one city along with a couple of others that are relieving some of the pressure but there is a failure to build new cities.

The concept of a $1m median with sydney wages as they are is a nightmare scenario. How long people tolerate that for I have no idea, I certainly wouldn't but if you are already in the market then there is no propensity to act other than to cash out.

yes that suburb will gentrify. The city effectively gets built out, they will raise densities in inner city areas which may provide a solution. It seems to me that Australia is failing to expand. There is really only one city along with a couple of others that are relieving some of the pressure but there is a failure to build new cities.

The concept of a $1m median with sydney wages as they are is a nightmare scenario. How long people tolerate that for I have no idea, I certainly wouldn't but if you are already in the market then there is no propensity to act other than to cash out.
im no planning expert but it doesnt seem melbourne or brisbane is expendaing out at all, it seems to just getting denser,

the suburb I grew up in is now a above average area, if I were to buy a PPOR with a 3 bdr and not so old, I would have to go anther 15 km out, I dont really mind since my work isnt in the city but im not sure if other young ones would be willing to.

so I guess their options is to spend big bucks an go buy in a unit or a townhouse or apartment,

maybe people will eventually give upn the PPOR with a big back yard or move to a cheaper city eg brisaben

The thing is, there are are still 400K properties (houses) in Sydney's outer suburbs. surely they can be snapped up by the people who can least afford a house. They may just have to get used to one hour and half hour travel to and from work.

The thing is, there are are still 400K properties (houses) in Sydney's outer suburbs. surely they can be snapped up by the people who can least afford a house. They may just have to get used to one hour and half hour travel to and from work.

3 hours a day travel time? No Thanks. I'd rather move cities than spend 15 hours a week travelling

3 hours a day travel time? No Thanks. I'd rather move cities than spend 15 hours a week travelling

That's door to door. Time yourself from the moment you close your door at home to the moment you step foot at work. That's travelling time. You'd be surprised how much travelling time we do,

That's door to door. Time yourself from the moment you close your door at home to the moment you step foot at work. That's travelling time. You'd be surprised how much travelling time we do,

Yes that's door to door but not in any way something I'd be prepared to do.

I often wonder about the claim for what's better for families, is it better to live in a bigger house with a yard but not see your parents much because they leave the house at 7 am and get home at say 7pm at earliest or is it better to live in a smaller home and see them a lot more?

I'd choose the latter.

Yes that's door to door but not in any way something I'd be prepared to do.

I often wonder about the claim for what's better for families, is it better to live in a bigger house with a yard but not see your parents much because they leave the house at 7 am and get home at say 7pm at earliest or is it better to live in a smaller home and see them a lot more?

I'd choose the latter.

I don't usually agree with you....but I do this time.

My cousins (male and female) grew up in a 2 bedroom apt, in Toronto..they survived. Parents slept on a hide a bed in the lounge.

I don't usually agree with you....but I do this time.

My cousins (male and female) grew up in a 2 bedroom apt, in Toronto..they survived. Parents slept on a hide a bed in the lounge.

Haha it's a scary thing when we agree :D

I spent 4 years of my primary school with 4 of us in 1 bedroom and I thinj 11 in a 4 bedroom house.

Much rather that than not seeing my parents cos they had to travel 3 hours a day to and from work.

Haha it's a scary thing when we agree :D

I spent 4 years of my primary school with 4 of us in 1 bedroom and I thinj 11 in a 4 bedroom house.

Much rather that than not seeing my parents cos they had to travel 3 hours a day to and from work.

agree.

Kids would much rather have their parents than any material possessions.
....well most kids.

Back