The big one is coming say preppers

The big one's coming. just a matter of time.

Unilever warned of a slowdown in all the right places, in the emerging markets, in Europe, and of stagnation in the US. Like other consumer-products companies, it complained about currency issues, political unrest, bleak economies, the wrong kind of weather, and other uncertainties that perplex consumers to no end and cause them to get stingy.

?We expect markets to remain tough?,? CEO Paul Polman said.

In the emerging markets overall, where nearly 60% of its revenues come from, underlying sales managed to increase 5.6%, down from 6.6% in the prior quarter, with Turkey, Indonesia, and the Philippines being particular bright spots. But Brazil is sliding into recession, Russia is slowing down as well, and China, oh my!

As China is entering its worst slowdown in many years, consumers are reacting by closing their wallets. Retailers and wholesalers are reacting to the newly prudent consumers by ?de-stocking,? the company reported. The result was a ?sharp slowdown.? Underlying sales plunged 20%!

.....and to top it off you have the risk of global conflict on the horizon.

Putin Warns Of Risk Of Major Conflict, Says Dollar Losing Reserve Currency Status

As Bloomberg reports:

*PUTIN SPEAKS AT MEETING OF VALDAI CLUB IN SOCHI
*PUTIN SAYS WORLD GROWING LESS SECURE, PREDICTABLE
*PUTIN SAYS NO GUARANTEE OF GLOBAL SECURITY
*GLOBAL SECURITY SYSTEM IS WEAK, DEFORMED: PUTIN
*COLD WAR ENDED WITHOUT PEACE BEING ACHIEVED: PUTIN
*PUTIN SAYS COLD WAR `VICTORS' DISMANTLING INTL LAWS, RELATIONS
*U.S. HAS WORSENED DISBALANCE IN INTL RELATIONS: PUTIN
*PUTIN SAYS U.S. ACTING LIKE NOUVEAU RICHE AS GLOBAL LEADER
*PUTIN SAYS WORLD LEADERS BEING BLACKMAILED BY `BIG BROTHER'
*U.S. LEADERSHIP BRINGS NO GOOD FOR OTHERS: PUTIN
*PUTIN SEES GLOBAL MEDIA UNDER CONTROL, UNDERMINING TRUTH
*PUTIN SAYS WEST CLOSED EYES TO INTL TERRORISM ENTERING RUSSIA
*PUTIN CALLS U.S. SELF-APPOINTED LEADER
*PUTIN: UNIPOLAR WORLD LIKE DICTATORSHIP OVER OTHER COUNTRIES
*PUTIN SAYS MANY COUNTRIES DISENCHANTED W/ GLOBALIZATION: PUTIN
*PUTIN SAYS U.S. DOLLAR LOSING TRUST AS RESERVE CURRENCY
*RUSSIA WON'T BEG FOR ANYTHING: PUTIN
*SANCTIONS UNDERMINING WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION RULES: PUTIN
*RUSSIA ISN'T WALLING ITSELF OFF FROM WORLD, PUTIN SAYS
*RUSSIA READY FOR DIALOGUE ON NORMALIZING ECONOMIC TIES: PUTIN
*PUTIN: WORLD WITHOUT RULES IS POSSIBILITY; ANARCHY GROWING
*PUTIN CALLS FOR NEW GLOBAL CONSENSUS, INTERDEPENDENCE
*PUTIN: CONTINUED USE OF FORCE IN UKRAINE MAY LEAD TO DEAD END
*PUTIN SAYS U.S. CAN'T HUMILIATE ITS PARTNERS FOREVER​

Love him or hate him he's the only one making sense at the moment.

We are trending towards a major collapse and not just financial. I've seen nothing in the last 5 years that suggests we have made any real effort to change that trend for the better.

I laughed at preppers as little as 2 years ago. Now I am one

The problem with prepping is that a bigger force can take it all from you far too easily. I had a long look at this before the gfc and while you can survive for a while alone, the best chance of long term survival is the building of a community.

Cheers

Shane

I'm not quite at the level of being a prepper yet. But I've been disposing of all leverage/debts and putting money into defensives as a precaution against what might come.

If another great depression visits us I wonder what the reaction will be on here when folks band together and go the fisticuffs when an eviction is in the offing like they did back in the day. Let us all hope it doesn't come to that.

Found this interesting reading.
http://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/stories/skint-making-do-great-depression

The problem with prepping is that a bigger force can take it all from you far too easily. I had a long look at this before the gfc and while you can survive for a while alone, the best chance of long term survival is the building of a community.

Cheers

Shane

You're thinking along the US lines of prepping. Downunder the situation is likely to be completely different. No real need for guns and ammo like the yanks.

It's more about protecting your financial position, earning ability and living arrangements.

I'm not quite at the level of being a prepper yet. But I've been disposing of all leverage/debts and putting money into defensives as a precaution against what might come.

You're prepping whether you realise it or not. Smart move Arny. Better a year early than a day late as they say.

You're thinking along the US lines of prepping. Downunder the situation is likely to be completely different. No real need for guns and ammo like the yanks.

It's more about protecting your financial position, earning ability and living arrangements.

If the financial system does collapse what will be the currency then? How will you earn a living if no medium of exchange exists? Living arrangements will succumb to US style prepping issues if there is no law and order. There are millions of people in Australia who can't survive.........

I think protecting your assets and possibly even your life and the lives of your loved ones is very difficult in these situations. In the Great Depression the bulk of employment was in agriculture and most people had access to some food and shelter. There were still mobs of roving unemployed looking for work, food and shelter. That situation would be magnified many times these days with so few people equipped with skills to grow their own food etc.

Once people can't feed themselves sir their families, you will have a breakdown in law and order and revolt. Holding onto your assets in those situations is very difficult. I am not sure it is possible to financially prepare for the worst case situation as it will be very fluid and as to which medium of exchange evolves it will certainly not be financial for a long while. Initially, I feel people would form small communities for their security and safety. Skills such as medical skills, food production, trades and military skills would be needed and valued. If this situation develops, Im fairly sure that skills such as financial manipulation won't be in such high demand :) As an ex serving Army Officer, all we needed to survive for weeks was water, rations, ammo and access to some medical services. I didn't see or need access to money for months at a time. I think in the space of a full financial collapse, money will be useless as no-one will need money. They will have more urgent and pressing needs.

Last edited:
My prepper preparation has been studying/watching "The Walking Dead". Some of the lessons learnt are

-money is worthless
-with real estate strong doors/walls counts for more than location and amnities
-stock up on guns, ammo and non perishable food, baked beans :p
-contraceptives will sky rocket in value
-have very good cardio, still time to ditch the beer gut
-stay away from cities
-the only good zombie is a dead zombie

....... and so on

I'm not sure civil society would remain all that 'civil' in Australia under a large collapse.

I'd still be finding some very real comfort from owning firearms in a SHTF situation.

My prepper preparation has been studying/watching "The Walking Dead". Some of the lessons learnt are

-money is worthless
-stay away from cities

....... and so on

and everybody knows that the only way to kill a zombie is to destroy the brain, and you want to be as far away as possible when you do that.

-money is worthless
-stay away from cities

....... and so on

Interestingly the humans are the greater danger usually

I don't know about you ... but I'm yet to meet a wealthy pessimist. Maybe something for you guys to ponder. :) LL

LL, so very true.
To be a successful investor you must have a "glass half full approach, rather than half empty" IMO.

You will also notice that those that continually start negative threads, rarely have much to say that is meaningful when it comes to property/investing strategies, very telling.

My wife and I are both 62. Don't count on us paying "rocket" prices for contraceptives. Now there's a tip !!
But I do gym everyday .... that bit of advice I can endorse.
But Friday nights after a bottle (or so ...) of red ...don't confuse me for a walking zombie, although I can see how that could happen at times. But it'll just me going for a pee on the lemon tree ....OK ... just hold you fire ! LL

But Friday nights after a bottle (or so ...) of red ...don't confuse me for a walking zombie, although I can see how that could happen at times. But it'll just me going for a pee on the lemon tree ....OK ... just hold you fire ! LL

Never go out alone and never without a weapon. More people have been killed on solo toilet runs and on scavenger runs.

Source - Zombie Apocalypse Survival Manual

Never go out alone and never without a weapon.
Source - Zombie Apocalypse Survival Manual

Mindmaster
I am not too worried about zombies in the dark, I am scared shxtless about running into cockroaches, no fear though, I'll carry a gun and shoot them between the eyes.:p

Freckles, lol, first it was ebola now this lol.

Relax, the sky isn't gonna collapse. As for Putin lol, he could prep by wrestling a bear lol. Man, too much testosterone sends ya nuts.

I'll be prepping by taking out another loan lol.

The big one's coming. just a matter of time.
Unilever warned of a slowdown in all the right places, in the emerging markets, in Europe, and of stagnation in the US. Like other consumer-products companies, it complained about currency issues, political unrest, bleak economies, the wrong kind of weather, and other uncertainties that perplex consumers to no end and cause them to get stingy.

?We expect markets to remain tough?,? CEO Paul Polman said.

In the emerging markets overall, where nearly 60% of its revenues come from, underlying sales managed to increase 5.6%, down from 6.6% in the prior quarter, with Turkey, Indonesia, and the Philippines being particular bright spots. But Brazil is sliding into recession, Russia is slowing down as well, and China, oh my!
As China is entering its worst slowdown in many years, consumers are reacting by closing their wallets. Retailers and wholesalers are reacting to the newly prudent consumers by ?de-stocking,? the company reported. The result was a ?sharp slowdown.? Underlying sales plunged 20%!
.....and to top it off you have the risk of global conflict on the horizon.

Putin Warns Of Risk Of Major Conflict, Says Dollar Losing Reserve Currency Status

As Bloomberg reports:

*PUTIN SPEAKS AT MEETING OF VALDAI CLUB IN SOCHI
*PUTIN SAYS WORLD GROWING LESS SECURE, PREDICTABLE
*PUTIN SAYS NO GUARANTEE OF GLOBAL SECURITY
*GLOBAL SECURITY SYSTEM IS WEAK, DEFORMED: PUTIN
*COLD WAR ENDED WITHOUT PEACE BEING ACHIEVED: PUTIN
*PUTIN SAYS COLD WAR `VICTORS' DISMANTLING INTL LAWS, RELATIONS
*U.S. HAS WORSENED DISBALANCE IN INTL RELATIONS: PUTIN
*PUTIN SAYS U.S. ACTING LIKE NOUVEAU RICHE AS GLOBAL LEADER
*PUTIN SAYS WORLD LEADERS BEING BLACKMAILED BY `BIG BROTHER'
*U.S. LEADERSHIP BRINGS NO GOOD FOR OTHERS: PUTIN
*PUTIN SEES GLOBAL MEDIA UNDER CONTROL, UNDERMINING TRUTH
*PUTIN SAYS WEST CLOSED EYES TO INTL TERRORISM ENTERING RUSSIA
*PUTIN CALLS U.S. SELF-APPOINTED LEADER
*PUTIN: UNIPOLAR WORLD LIKE DICTATORSHIP OVER OTHER COUNTRIES
*PUTIN SAYS MANY COUNTRIES DISENCHANTED W/ GLOBALIZATION: PUTIN
*PUTIN SAYS U.S. DOLLAR LOSING TRUST AS RESERVE CURRENCY
*RUSSIA WON'T BEG FOR ANYTHING: PUTIN
*SANCTIONS UNDERMINING WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION RULES: PUTIN
*RUSSIA ISN'T WALLING ITSELF OFF FROM WORLD, PUTIN SAYS
*RUSSIA READY FOR DIALOGUE ON NORMALIZING ECONOMIC TIES: PUTIN
*PUTIN: WORLD WITHOUT RULES IS POSSIBILITY; ANARCHY GROWING
*PUTIN CALLS FOR NEW GLOBAL CONSENSUS, INTERDEPENDENCE
*PUTIN: CONTINUED USE OF FORCE IN UKRAINE MAY LEAD TO DEAD END
*PUTIN SAYS U.S. CAN'T HUMILIATE ITS PARTNERS FOREVER
Love him or hate him he's the only one making sense at the moment.

We are trending towards a major collapse and not just financial. I've seen nothing in the last 5 years that suggests we have made any real effort to change that trend for the better.

I have watched those tv show US based about preppers and what I found strange was this one young Man who had a room full of food water ect around 350 pounds of gear,one gun a m14 which is about 14 pounds fully loaded,no car only a pushbike so how does he carry 350 pounds of gear on the pushbike :rolleyes:,,not trying to question his procedure only his confidence while riding down the road with 200 hungry people running after him..

My mate has been waiting for the mother of all financial collapse since 2008. I've since purchased 5 ips to his 0. One of us will be crying!

Like i keep telling him, we're all on the same ship, when it sinks we are all doomed one way or another.

So in the post-apocalypse there will be no need for shares, real estate or cash. Shares have become worthless, companies have collapsed, no one is renting and banks have closed.

So how did some wealthy people prosper through the Depression? Some people must have had good strategies.

Back