Renting By Room

Google "Childers backpacker fire" and see if you might rethink your casual attitude.

No smoke alarm at all in the hostel and the fire is deliberated.

If rohan's place is properly setup for fire evacuation, the risk will be greatly reduced.

No smoke alarm at all in the hostel and the fire is deliberated.

If rohan's place is properly setup for fire evacuation, the risk will be greatly reduced.

Thanks for the logical thought, Akira. Its like a breath of fresh air.

I love how if you have a granny flat, or rent a house out by the room everyone immediately jumps to the conclusion you're doing it illegally, and apparently the house is imminently going to burn down and the landlord will be thrown in jail. Such constructive stuff.

The place is fully done up with all safety alarm and fire blanket and extinguisher in the kitchen. We did had one hiccup, a tenant was cooking and received a call from friend and left without turning the stove off. The pot was badly burned and smoke everywhere, we got scared and gave tenant 2 wks to find a new place.

I wouldn't recommend going down this path. Too much of a risk.

Heard of even more horror story. A house in Macgregor, opposite Griffith uni, has around 15 Indian students in 4 rooms with 1 toilet and bathroom. The owner hired 2 portable loo for them. Each tenants paid $120 per week for this extreme condition.

Thankfully BCC is trying to clamp down on this sort of behavior and neighbours are reporting these sort of houses. They are horrible to live near, cars and people coming and going all hours of the day and night. Greed sometimes knows no limits.

I love how if you have a granny flat, or rent a house out by the room everyone immediately jumps to the conclusion you're doing it illegally, and apparently the house is imminently going to burn down and the landlord will be thrown in jail. Such constructive stuff.

So does that mean you were doing it legally?

Thankfully BCC is trying to clamp down on this sort of behavior and neighbours are reporting these sort of houses. They are horrible to live near, cars and people coming and going all hours of the day and night. Greed sometimes knows no limits.

They tried, but can't get rid of it. Take a look at sunnybank, sunnybank hills, Robertson, Macgregor etc...areas. Student accommodation rentals are every where. They did reduced it tot.

How do you know they are horrible to live near? Have you live next to one? Where is your source coming from? The courier fail? Yes there is a small minority here to create trouble, but majority are here to study. As per my statement above, tenants selection is very important. If you are after party type, you will get party type.

If it is not approved, the risk is way too high.

Everything comes with risk.

High risk high return. You just have to weight whether the return of your action (legally or illegally) is worth of it or not. When I was doing it 10 years ago, the different between renting whole house and student accommodation is $15k. I was running 2 houses, that is $30k. To me, at that time it is worth of it. Now because of council tighten the law on 5 rooms max and with the trouble of getting insurance, it is not worth of it for me.

They tried, but can't get rid of it. Take a look at sunnybank, sunnybank hills, Robertson, Macgregor etc...areas. Student accommodation rentals are every where. They did reduced it tot.

How do you know they are horrible to live near? Have you live next to one? Where is your source coming from? The courier fail? Yes there is a small minority here to create trouble, but majority are here to study. As per my statement above, tenants selection is very important. If you are after party type, you will get party type.

Yeah that's the area, and yes I know it well and can spot them a mile away. Anyone living there hates the overcrowded houses and will report overcrowding to the council, it's a suburban area not a slum.

Everything comes with risk.

High risk high return. You just have to weight whether the return of your action (legally or illegally) is worth of it or not. When I was doing it 10 years ago, the different between renting whole house and student accommodation is $15k. I was running 2 houses, that is $30k. To me, at that time it is worth of it. Now because of council tighten the law on 5 rooms max and with the trouble of getting insurance, it is not worth of it for me.

You took a huge risk and were lucky nothing bad happened. That doesn't mean it is a good idea, now or then. All the extra money won't help you should something bad happen.

In a house we own and rent out there are 12 tenants in it.

Does it make a difference whether it is legal or not?

Does it affect the neighbors?

Do we make a lot of money from it?

Does it really matter?

I always find these sort of threads amusing.
Having a 4-6 bedroom house housing 12 people seems to irritate a lot of people on SS.

Obviously it serves a need, otherwise they wouldn't be full.

In a house we own and rent out there are 12 tenants in it.

Does it make a difference whether it is legal or not?

Yes it does, especially if something goes wrong.

Does it affect the neighbours?

Yes it does, but that is too bad, unless it is not legal, in which case, you should fear being dobbed in.

Do we make a lot of money from it?

I'm sure you do. I wouldn't want to risk making more money doing something that could land me in jail.

Does it really matter?

The illegal stuff does matter... a lot, but not until it matters (if you get my drift). Until something goes wrong, all is rosy.

I always find these sort of threads amusing.
Having a 4-6 bedroom house housing 12 people seems to irritate a lot of people on SS.

Obviously it serves a need, otherwise they wouldn't be full.

There is obviously a need for a lot of things but that doesn't mean supplying those things is legal or moral.

Thanks for the logical thought, Akira. Its like a breath of fresh air.

You will find that most will have no issues if you are doing it legally. There are specific numbers of unrelated parties that are allowed to reside in a property. If you have above this number of tenants, then you are not following the rules.

There is obviously a need for a lot of things but that doesn't mean supplying those things is legal or moral.

Most people here, seem to have a problem with so may tenants in one residence, as if they are packed in like sardines.

In our case this house of ours, is huge...but when we bought it, it was still a single family home to a couple, who were in their late 60's.

We could actually have 22 tenants in this property, because each room, could house a couple.
Our neighbours have never complained.
There are no parties there.
It has a huge back yard, so they could have lots of friends over, but they don't.

It is a legal property.
The insurance is appropriate.
The zoning is legal.

Now, if we didn't have proper zoning, insurance,or anything..it doesn't change the fact, we are not a problem to our neighbours.

It just seems a lot of people on SS have a problem with 'rent by room' deals.
They always think they are doing something illegal.

It is a legal property.
The zoning is legal.

I don't think Wylie, or anyone else would have a problem with this property because of the above statement.

The ones that a lot of people have issues with are standard houses where the students are crammed in like sardines and are NOT legal.

The only issue I have, with something which is done legally, is the landlord's stated racial bias towards potential tenants. Apparently people from Europe, the Americas, Africa and Australia are ignored along with those from the subcontinent. I call that racism, which is simply a prejudgment of the character of a person based on racial origin, and which has been one of the destructive forces in the last century.

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"

It is a legal property.
The zoning is legal.

No problems then :).

As skater says, I have no problem with a legal set up.

The ones banging on here about making so much money clearly have admitted to doing it illegally. That is dangerous. They are taking huge risks.

What is the maximum number of unrelated people that can live in one house in Victoria?

Tried googling this but can't get an answer. Could be having a mental block.

A homestay set up in a 5 bedroom two bathroom house where the family uses 3 bedrooms and provides accommodation to 2 or 4 students could be ok.

No ethical issues. Not sure about legal issues.

What is the maximum number of unrelated people that can live in one house in Victoria?
There's no way to meaningfully answer this question.

1. It usually goes by how many leases / households there are, not the number of people. Homestays are usually considered as one household, I believe, so not usually an issue.

2. It depends on the zoning; what can be OK on one lot of zoning can be illegal next door on a differently-zoned block.

3. It's not just state law that's the issue, but local council regulations.

Thanks Perp. I remembered reading somewhere about a limit of 5 or 6 unrelated people living together. Bad memory.

So basically should be ok but would need to check with the local council.

There's no way to meaningfully answer this question.

1. It usually goes by how many leases / households there are, not the number of people. Homestays are usually considered as one household, I believe, so not usually an issue.

2. It depends on the zoning; what can be OK on one lot of zoning can be illegal next door on a differently-zoned block.

3. It's not just state law that's the issue, but local council regulations.

Back