There is such thing as haunted houses?!

Hi All -

Have you ever come across 'haunted houses'. It's a first I've read in May's API on page 12...

Wonder how careful one needs to be when purchasing or does it even matter?

A bit freaky....

I avoid properties where there has been a recent death, particularly where a violent psychopath has done his handy work.

You seem to feel the presence of "someone breathing down your neck" especially at night , alone in bed, when you suddenly become paralysed with fear...that creaking noise in the floorboards...and wishing for the night to end!!

IYou seem to feel the presence of "someone breathing down your neck" especially at night , alone in bed, when you suddenly become paralysed with fear...that creaking noise in the floorboards...and wishing for the night to end!!

Personal Experience? Maybe took on too much debt and that is what is causing your fear?

I avoid properties where there has been a recent death, particularly where a violent psychopath has done his handy work.

You seem to feel the presence of "someone breathing down your neck" especially at night , alone in bed, when you suddenly become paralysed with fear...that creaking noise in the floorboards...and wishing for the night to end!!

We have one the story was a Man hung himself in side the hallway but in the mid 1960's, we have had this one over 20 years,been flooded a few times,roof blew off,but it was only when the 2011 floods tenant did a runner and I slept inside the cleanout shell of the house,so the desperados
would not knock of the copper hws and the pipe work,started in the afternoon when I was under the house jacking the blown stumps back up,sounded like someone was walking up stairs,went up several times thinking someones there,same thing happened that night,even my dogs could tell that something was not right..

There is a house near us, a few streets away, and my friend lives nearby. She knows the house and previous owners well, but after a few uncomfortable feelings, she won't go into the house, feels very cold, floors move in "waves". This house has sold over and over, been rented over and over, and nobody lasts more than a few weeks or months.

A family moved in with little children, learned to live with the presence, renovated and stayed for a while, lived there for a few years, and only moved when they decided the kids needed to live in a house that was "normal".

The dad would be reading a book in the kid's bed and the little children would ask "why does that lady hold onto my feet?" or "why is the lady standing at the end of the bed?".

This same friend has her own presence in her very old house and her daughters refuse to use one bathroom. A few years ago they asked a strapping young bloke to dog sit for them. He left with the dogs, took them to his house, and refused to sleep there.

I've been in that bathroom, and felt nothing, but only once. Shower curtain blows in the breeze (no window open and no breeze), can hear someone walking on floorboards when upstairs of house is empty.

I wonder if some people simply are more receptive to these things. The young man (early 20s) who refused to stay the night knew nothing of the presence, so he had no preconceived ideas or inkling of anything untoward until he was in the house alone.

My GP lived in a house that had a tragic history. Nobody told him about it when he bought it. A murder had taken place in the house. And my GP would have dreams where the murdered man showed him exactly in detail how his murder took place. The cellar was where the furnace/heating had to be manually switched on to heat the house. My GP would climb down the stairs into the cold cellar to switch it on then when he went back up, the fire would blow out. And it kept blowing out no matter how many times he would go down there to switch it on.
And the cellar was where the murder had taken place.

Finally one day, my GP sold the house and on the day of the sale, he decided to say goodbye to his acreage neighbours. The neighbours looked at him strangely, 'we were surprised how long you lasted in that place, didn't you know the history of the house?' My GP decided to tease them a little, 'oh, you mean the murder?' They nodded their heads. 'A gun was involved?' They nodded again. 'But it was the butt of the rifle that was used to crush the victim's skull?' They were amazed. 'How did you know that?' My GP just smiled. Unknown to them, he had many dreams where the murdered man brought him down to the cellar and showed him exactly how he was murdered.

We lived 10 years in our previous house. Immediately when we moved in doors started to open and close without recognisable draft. Then a couple times I was sure my hubby was in the room with me and I started to talk to him and then noticed that he was outside and noway he would have been inside the house. I felt that someone was present in the room with me, but it clearly was not him.

We have met both two sets of previous owners and we knew that none of them had died in the house. So I thought that my imagination is making tricks with me. :eek: But just when we moved out we found out that one of the previous owners child had died in tragic circumstances (accident) in the property. The accident was the reason they sold and moved out at the first place.

By the way this is the only time in my life that I have felt anything like that. I used to live in really old houses in Europe and many people have passed away in those old places, but I never felt, saw, heard or sensed anything. So I can not call myself sensitive type...

how long do you guys believe these ghosts hang around for (thinking of Europe where god knows what has happened inside buildings)and if the house gets demolished do they move out?

In the last 50 000 years alone over 100 Billion people have died. There are currently only 6 billion people on the face of the earth.

This doesn't account for the billions upon billions upon billions that have died prior to the last 50 000 years. Track our evolutionary heritage and the death rate would be astronomical.

The fact that someone imagines something about someone dying somewhere and then oh wow it turns out someone died there is beyond ordinary considering just how many people have died.

It's like having a million jelly beans scattered throughout your house, dreaming that there is one in your bedside table, waking, checking your bedside table then "Oh me gerd" there's a JELLY BEAN!"

In the last 50 000 years alone over 100 Billion people have died. There are currently only 6 billion people on the face of the earth.

This doesn't account for the billions upon billions upon billions that have died prior to the last 50 000 years. Track our evolutionary heritage and the death rate would be astronomical.

very interesting, I would never have imagined the numbers to be so high

very interesting, I would never have imagined the numbers to be so high

And if you extend back to the start of evolution that's 3.8 billion years ago that things which eventually led to humans started living and dying. You only need 2 deaths per year to outnumber the living right now. And when you consider the current death rate is 56 million per year... That's a lot of deaths in the past 3.8billion years. Even if you extend back on average less than half the current death rate at 20 million per year, that gives you a total number of deaths at 76000000000000000. That's a big number, a billion is only 1000000000.

And of course this is completely missing the biggest issue with ghosts. Where do they get their clothes?

How do ghost clothes come about?

Do ghosts need to wait until a shirt and pants or dress is violently murdered and has unfinished business to attend to?

Which makes me wonder, is that where all my socks and jocks end up? Is that ghost clothes haunting me by taking them away. Spooky!

Or is there a shortage of ghost clothes, is this a whole ghost economy a savey investor can take advantage of? Is it kind of like cigarettes to prisoners. Do we all need to try somehow to bring clothes with us to the other side so we have something to barter with?

I'd imagine the demand would be
great. Old man bob wants to go haunt the young family in the house he was murdered in but he doesn't feel confident or scary enough to do the job with his knob hanging out.

Bam I show up on the scene with some clothes and I give them to bob in exchange for building me a ghost mansion. Brilliant!

Tim I don't know if you are joking or trying to belittle those who believe these things. I've not experienced this stuff, but when one house has a turnover every six months or so, renters or purchasers, and the people who I know who've been in that house and won't go in again, and these people I know are normal (whatever that is), then I take what they say on face value.

You live in Brisbane. Let me organise that you stay the night in my friends house, where the young tough footballer refused to say. See you you go with your theories? I say, don't judge what other people see or feel.

We had a farm stay years ago and the old shearing shed was beside the original homestead. It was falling down, but the shearers slept in it to keep warm and dry. I cannot imagine many shearers 30 years ago being too namby pamby but they all refused to sleep in one room, and (from memory) stopped using the house.

A young shearer fell through a guard rail in the Blue Mountains and was haunting the house. He didn't die there, but dozens of tough, country men refused to sleep in the house. Riddle me that?

I say allow others to believe what they believe. I felt nothing in my friend's bathroom but her own family don't use it. Ridicule away, but I'll pay for you to spend the night in Boggo Road. A painter there a year or so ago when it was closed said none of the big, tough looking painters would stay after it started to get dark. Several saw a face at a particular window. So they all must be namby pamby hysterical blue collar painters?

Back