Removing Curry Smell - At tenants cost or landlord??

Just rent to curry lovers again .... Problem solved . We actually did this no joke. LL

Probably the easiest of options!

I advertised the property for rent on gumtree. Within 24 hours I had 12 people interested with the list growing! Free advertising at it's best! I've organized a half hour inspection on Saturday morning (might get the vanilla candles out!) then to narrow the list down to potential tenants.. Rental manager was far from impressed when I hinted I can do her job better than she can and I no longer require their services after contract period! ha..

Cheers for all the advice and responses! (both constructive and unconstructive :p)

Looking forward to the challenge ahead of self managing both of my investment properties!

Hmmm... I'm pleased and I'm concerned. By all means give self management a try, but long term you want to be an investor not a PM. I've seen several people sell very good IPs because the 'small stuff' got to them. I honestly know one lady who sold a townhouse in Brunswick because a tenant spilt red wine on the carpet. In the last few years this would have cost her $200k in lost CG. Think carefully what this game is all about. LL

Removing curry smell

I regularly use a very natural product call Bin Bombs. Its granulates and powder. We use it in business to remove very very strong smells. It really works and I know the company have agents over east. You just leave in the tub in the effected areas. Haven't found anything better

Hmmm... I'm pleased and I'm concerned. By all means give self management a try, but long term you want to be an investor not a PM. I've seen several people sell very good IPs because the 'small stuff' got to them. I honestly know one lady who sold a townhouse in Brunswick because a tenant spilt red wine on the carpet. In the last few years this would have cost her $200k in lost CG. Think carefully what this game is all about. LL

Thanks LL. I hear you and agree on long term investor part as opposed to a PM.. But with 2 properties I don't see it being a huge weight on my shoulders (1 will soon be my PPOR when I move out of home to renovate in 10 months anyway). My current tenants have been dealing with me direct on most occasions for the past 3 years anyway. I've enjoyed the challenge and have built a very friendly relationship with them (apart from the slight concern on the fragrance they are leaving behind & burn in benchtop all has been good!).

I regularly use a very natural product call Bin Bombs. Its granulates and powder. We use it in business to remove very very strong smells. It really works and I know the company have agents over east. You just leave in the tub in the effected areas. Haven't found anything better

Cheers Chris! Just checking out their website now! Will look into it further and possibly give them a shot.

You don't run the machine when anyone is living there.
It stinks.

If it was that strong, then would be a goer.

Another option is activated carbon (comes in pellets) - I've used this in a car after spilling litres of oil in the back and it was very effective (although may have to take care with marks on carpet :)

Most motels like us use a "Rainbow Air" ozone machine, close the place tight and leave it on all day and don't let anyone be in there while it's on and allow it to ventilate for about 30 mins before going in again. Concentrated O3 is not healthy. Apparently the O3 molecules eat "smell" molecules, or something like that. If you can't find one, visit a few motels in your area and you might be able to borrow or "hire" one. Last one we bought was about $1200. Great to remove smoker smells, Lynx Jungle Venom or similar, and the leftover smell of exotic foods and spices. But overdone lingering long term Eastern type spices require a whole clean approach of carpet, walls, ceiling, soft furnishings etc like you're doing. With exotic guests going into our apartments or accommodation with cooking facilities, we advise that using spices which leave a smell which can't be removed with a normal clean will be regarded as extra cleaning and will attract massive extra cleaning costs on their credit card.
Good luck
cheers
crest133

Back