Engineered Floor

Because I cannot move out to have my floors done, I am considering an engineered floor. That way I can just have the furniture moved about and repositioned same day.

The type I am thinking of is Oak as it is stained the colour I would like. It is not a family home so I think it should wear well enough.

Does anyone have any experience of engineered floors and any pitfalls I should be a aware of.

Also ...should I have the paint done before or after the floors?

Cheers

Not all engineered floor boards have the same thickness of real timber veneer. The thicker the better as it may allow bruises and scratch marks to be polished out.

Also ...should I have the paint done before or after the floors?

Cheers

That depends on how you do the edges. "Proper" way, that looks way better, is to remove & refit skirting boards over the top, in which case paint after.

Much cheaper & quicker way, that looks worse but may not matter depending on application, is to butt up to existing skirts & put quad in. If this, paint before (but then touch up paint for the quad).

It is a trim with a cross section that looks like a quadrant of a circle. It is used to seal gaps, and commonly seen around the frame of a timber glass window, where it is used to hold the glazing in place.

Thanks. Just arranged for a new company to quote. They are suggesting laminate over engineered boards as they are more durable. Not sure its the look I want though. Certainly a lot cheaper.

Thanks. Just arranged for a new company to quote. They are suggesting laminate over engineered boards as they are more durable. Not sure its the look I want though. Certainly a lot cheaper.

Yep- cheaper, tougher but in my opinion they always look fake. Much colder underfoot too, if you walk around barefoot. For cheaper reno/IP they would be perfect but higher end I would avoid.

Also, the cheaper-end laminate's are 8-10mm mdf and if the mdf gets wet they curl up at the joins. Super common in kitchens after leaks, but can happen even with standard wet mopping after a while.

Often you can get bamboo for not that much more (in syd i can get laminate under $20/sqm & bamboo at $30-35/sqm), and it is much much more solid. Handles water way better then laminate & imo looks much nicer.

HI vmay,

I think you mean floating floorboards. Engineered timber refers to the finish on top (real timber but sliced and diced in a different way).

The order of works should be 1) remove existing flooring, 2) paint walls, 3) lay new floor, 4) Install scotia or skirting boards.

I also would steer clear of laminate unless you go with a very good quality (read: expensive) one. They never look as good or last as well as real timber. If you have to compromise because of cost, I would consider vinyl flooring (Karndean timber look is a favourite of mine).

When the flooring company says laminate is more durable, they are probably referring to how a natural timber floor can dent. A laminate floor doesn't dent but it will show signs of age at the joins and often in wet areas.

Hope that helps.

HI vmay,

I think you mean floating floorboards. Engineered timber refers to the finish on top (real timber but sliced and diced in a different way).

The order of works should be 1) remove existing flooring, 2) paint walls, 3) lay new floor, 4) Install scotia or skirting boards.

I also would steer clear of laminate unless you go with a very good quality (read: expensive) one. They never look as good or last as well as real timber. If you have to compromise because of cost, I would consider vinyl flooring (Karndean timber look is a favourite of mine).

Hope that helps.

Yes thanks, that's a big help. Now I just have to choose the product and the installer. I really like an engineered oak board but have been told oak is soft. I have had bamboo recommended as being tougher.

There are so many types of engineered boards that its a bit overwhelming. I have to consider outgassing and have found a company selling no VOC bamboo but I am not sure how reliable the product is.

Never realised how much there was to know about floors.

tasmainian oak is not oak. its a eucalyptus (or a mix of three eucalypts). its relatively soft compared to other timber flooring.

EDIT: just realised you didn't mention tasmanian oak, just oak. Either way, not all hardwoods are created equal. Harness of timber is measured by the Janka hardness scale

I agree; laminate will last longer. If you get a timber floating floor, it's more expensive and will stratch. It depends on the how careful you will look after the boards. If you have kinds and a lot of traffic coming through the house, then get laminate. If it's just you and your partner, get timber floating boards.

Timber floating boards are just like real boards in that if you ahve a stone stuck under your shoe, it will ding and scratch.

The only issue with floating floor of any kind is that if you get water underneath it or sitting on it for a while, it will go bad. The backing will buckle and your floor is stuffed.

I agree; laminate will last longer. If you get a timber floating floor, it's more expensive and will stratch. It depends on the how careful you will look after the boards. If you have kinds and a lot of traffic coming through the house, then get laminate. If it's just you and your partner, get timber floating boards.

Currently its my PPOR but I may rent in the future. Also there is the issue of having to use cleaners and they are not always very careful with their work. SO I need something hardy but suitable for allergy and chemical sensitivity. The Karndean mentioned sounds good but a lot of outgassing I imagine.

I did this recently in a PPOR apartment, I originally wanted floating timber and was budgeting on a top end product but ended up getting a great looking "vintage oak" laminate after comparing them all. Its longer and wider (2m long, 250mm wide) then most which I think looks more realistic, and everyone assumes its real timber. Its a good brand name product that cost less then half price of a timber board, and with lifetime guarantee on install and product I thought Id go the cheaper route and if it was no good pull it up and relay in a could of years if required. It really was that cheap!

8 months on and I can't fault it. I would recommend spending the money on proper floor preparation if required, if the floor is not perfectly flat all timber/laminate floors will creak and be spongy. I spent a lot of time doing this myself with a small jackhammer/ hammer and bolster and a few bags of floor leveller from bunnings. I recommend getting the floor installed by the store you purchase from, as they will provide a warranty on the product and install which could save you a lot if your unhappy with anything.

Paint all surfaces before the floor goes in. Skirting boards are much better looking the quad or scotia, easy enough to install yourself, paint these before installing and putty and touch up paint as required.

The only thing I don't like about it is there are 2 identical boards next to each other in the hallway - no one else has noticed it but I would not have got that with real timber (or if I had installed the boards myself!)

Alex

Floating floor is rubbish for anything but a quick cheap fix up imo, and most buyers with a decent eye for taste can see straight through it.

Engineered flooring as you mentioned is a 12mm ply with usually a 3mm veneer on top, its glued and shot down in the same way as a traditional timber floor, but is pre-finished so no need for sanding and polishing.

Pre-finished engineered floors are extremely popular in new top end builds atm.

Back