• 2.5 mill to 2.99 mil

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 3 mil to 3.99 mil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Over 4 mil

Votes: 11 8.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Threads and polls about how long it took to achieve financial involve too many variables to make any significant comparisons.

How about a poll specifically on how much capital growth/equity growth you have achieved only via property transactions considering all costs involved, CG tax too if you've sold.

Go.

You probably should have included a few negative ranges because there would be many there (but maybe they're not hanging around somersoft much). Those of us that started in the 90s probably doing ok, we lucked out and rode the credit boom.

Threads and polls about how long it took to achieve financial involve too many variables to make any significant comparisons.

How about a poll specifically on how much capital growth/equity growth you have achieved only via property transactions considering all costs involved, CG tax too if you've sold.

Go.

Hahaha damn I'm 3k of getting into another bracket anyone willing to lend me 3k :p

I've made a few billion, and only come on here for something to do.

Nah; seriously - there are a few here who like to talk telephone numbers and subliminal brag - so don't expect too much truth from this poll.

Having said that; I can tell you that I started investing way too late - in 2001 and 40 years old, and had at that stage a PPoR worth about $320k - fully paid off.

By around 2008 - and I started a thread on it to crow about the result - we hit $1mill in equity. For some; it's a good result. For others; small change.

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43812

Since then, have had to sell off most of the portfolio, and bought a business with a chunk of the equity - which is going crap currently and hindering my wealth creation aspirations by a hundred percent. Stiff shidd; my fault and I'm an idiot.

However; had a meeting last night with our FB (haven't touched base for 3 years) and revisited all the loans' structures and ascertained probable equity/LVR.

A new loan restucture should save us at least $10k in interest per year.

Without adding in the business value (probably zero) the property equity is still up near the $800k mark.

So, considering we've sold off lots, stuffed up lots; the position since 2008 is reasonable, and it looks as though I can go shopping again for another investment or two later this year..

Won't know for sure until official Bank valuations come back; the properties haven't been valued since the PPoR was at frame stage of build (2010), no pool etc. Now, it's completely finished with full landscaping, curtains/blinds/furniture and so forth.

In real terms we have gone backwards of course, but there are plenty of folks out there in Aus who would be happy to be us, I'm sure.

So, there ya go; no telephone numbers, and no BS.

The other thing to keep in mind when folks post their results is their income. We have done ours on only average incomes.

So; it's relative; nowadays loads of folks on this site earn well over the six figure income level, and when you are at that level, making a million or more in a few years is a piece of cake.

Last edited:
After the wedding, paying all debts, paying sales fees and capital gains tax. I'd be lucky to hit 6 figures.

In equity I have a whole lot more.

Even with the last boom, delusions of being far ahead are dashed. I realise it really is a long term game. I'm just glad I'm not starting married life in debt.

I voted over $4mil - that was over a 25 year time period and collectively using passive investments and developments.

I had the advantage of starting early and the advantage of a property boom - no brains involved there!!!

Not sure if this info gives people any useful information now???

Reactions: Biz
That's a tough calculation! Sold one property 6 yrs ago. Salary sacrificed for a couple of months into superannuation - no idea how much or what performance and future would be. Pre-paid interest on a couple of properties. Stopped prepaying a few years later when we had no wage income for 8 months - I guess majority of the profit was wiped out by self-funded unemployment although gave us the freedom to move interstate with no job lined up. Maybe exclude this from my calcs?

I voted over $4mil - that was over a 25 year time period and collectively using passive investments and developments.

I had the advantage of starting early and the advantage of a property boom - no brains involved there!!!

That's awesome, shows time in the market really pays off.

After the wedding, paying all debts, paying sales fees and capital gains tax. I'd be lucky to hit 6 figures.

In equity I have a whole lot more.

Even with the last boom, delusions of being far ahead are dashed. I realise it really is a long term game. I'm just glad I'm not starting married life in debt.

Hey N,

Was really trying to figure equity gains from property only.
Xenias post just after you confirms what you say, property is a long term game for the big gainz.

Well done! Kudos! Give this woman an interview!

Not sure how you find the energy to get up every morning and run a business dealing with tenants every day though with a net worth like that :D

Would be interested to see these figures in relation to which year people purchased their first investment property.

Also are people calculating equity on current 'market values' or most recent valuations? Or purely only on properties they have sold for profit. In which case id be on $0.. :D

Well done! Kudos! Give this woman an interview!

Not sure how you find the energy to get up every morning and run a business dealing with tenants every day though with a net worth like that :D

Lol - I wish!
That is not my net worth! It's roughly how much money was generated in property deals and equity over time.

If I was smart enough to start a business that generates cash flow at that time then it would have been a different story.
Or kept our J.O.B

Unfortunately we used a lot of the equity to live off with the title of "full time property investors"

I have better structures in place now - huge learning curve!
I've made all the mistakes - interview me if you want an example of what not to do when you've made a lot of money :(

Three SS members over 4M... noice

Gone are the days where $1M was considered a huge some of money....... some people depending on which city pay this for their primary residence in Australia.

MTR

Lol - I wish!
That is not my net worth! It's roughly how much money was generated in property deals and equity over time.

If I was smart enough to start a business that generates cash flow at that time then it would have been a different story.
Or kept our J.O.B

Unfortunately we used a lot of the equity to live off with the title of "full time property investors"

I have better structures in place now - huge learning curve!
I've made all the mistakes - interview me if you want an example of what not to do when you've made a lot of money :(

did you used to post previously with a different user id?

MTR that's your average suburban house in Perth these days

Yep, that's exactly right.

Listening to radio ABC 720 where government encouraging those wanting to retire to sell down to fund retirement, I have no doubt this is what most will be doing..... LOCI, living off children's inheritance.

Interesting thread Ace.

5 people that have made $4m + in equity growth...some forumites have clearly done incredibly well for themselves (or theres a lot of BS going on).

I'd love age/time in market to be added to the poll somehow. Would be interested in seeing how many of those $4m+ have done it under <10 years and <20 years.

Interesting thread Ace.

5 people that have made $4m + in equity growth...some forumites have clearly done incredibly well for themselves (or theres a lot of BS going on).

I'd love age/time in market to be added to the poll somehow. Would be interested in seeing how many of those $4m+ have done it under <10 years and <20 years.

Yeah, age and time in the market will make a big difference.
In my short time accumulating IP's, I've probably only increased equity in properties by 15% - 20% in recent times, which is mostly manufactured growth from developing.
I'd love to have had the portfolio I have now 10 years ago, would have made a passive 10 mil growth by now.
See how kind the market is in the next 10 years...

Yeah, age and time in the market will make a big difference.
In my short time accumulating IP's, I've probably only increased equity in properties by 15% - 20% in recent times, which is mostly manufactured growth from developing.
I'd love to have had the portfolio I have now 10 years ago, would have made a passive 10 mil growth by now.
See how kind the market is in the next 10 years...

I have a feeling with those numbers you'll do very well Ace. That's a substantial asset base working for you.

Investing strategy will also play a big role - those that develop are much more likely to be in greater equity positions. The buy and hold strategy will likely only have great results for those that have experienced the last 20-30 years of growth.

Cheers,
Redom

Back