Cost to render a house?

Was wondering how much as a rough estimate or quote to do this.

I have no idea so please go easy!

Looking at house which the outside has lots of peeling paint, very old house.

Probably asbestos, assuming if the structure is fine

Ive been told that to make it rentable at all, i would need to do something about the outside.

ive been told that I can render/clad over the outside.

can someone please tell me the rough costs and options that I have. i guess that i am looking for reasonably affordable method to make the outside of a house that looks quite bad, look very good!

any comments are much appreciated

We had quotes for rendering our house which varied by orders of magnitude, from about $8K up to $20K. (Though it's a pretty big home.)

I'd think for a small-medium sized home, you should get away with $5-8K.

Make sure they're licenced. There seem to be a lot of foreigners doing this without trade certificates for cash, but the quality of their work can be dubious, eg don't put in weepholes etc.

Great!! so $5k-$8k for a normal sized home is appropriate.

Sorry for another newbie question.

Assuming its old weatherboard, what are the exact options that are avaialble, I was told you could cover it with another layer of brick or poured concrete?

I think that the 5-8K would be for a small, low set brick house. For a weatherboard house, it would be a lot more expensive i'd reckon, as they would need to clad all the walls with polystyrene or blue board before rendering. Maybe another form of cladding could be a better option?

i just paid 4k for 138m2 sized home, my PPOR cost 20k for the fromt only and i did the rest, its a thing you get with lots,and lots of practice,
weep hole can be deleted from the home if its being rendered and painted, according to the MBA, at the rain water should not be able to enter the wall cavity any more??

I think that the 5-8K would be for a small, low set brick house. For a weatherboard house, it would be a lot more expensive i'd reckon, as they would need to clad all the walls with polystyrene or blue board before rendering.
Agreed. Sorry. When you said asbestos, Property Meister, I assumed flat asbestos sheeting (ie ready for rendering), not weatherboards. The need to clad it first will add substantially to the cost.

weep hole can be deleted from the home if its being rendered and painted, according to the MBA, at the rain water should not be able to enter the wall cavity any more??
That's interesting - thanks!

My rendering doesn't have weep holes, and I'd say three or four tradies who've worked on my house since then have highlighted to me and suggested that the job was dodgy. But I did use a licensed guy so was surprised that he would do something that seems to be so widely regarded as poor practise.

Now I'm thinking that perhaps he did actually know what he was doing and it's the widespread belief that's erroneous (yet again). ;)

We had our house rendered. High set house and pretty big (photos in the gallery). It goes a fair way back. We had granisite coating as well which I love. Cost $12K which we thought was really cheap.

They covered the weep holes. I asked them to remove the ledge (don't know what it's called). You know on old houses where they had a course of bricks sticking out a bit?

I also asked them to dock the bricks under the window. I'm glad I did because I have seen some that don't and it makes it more obvious that it's an old house that's rendered.

Back