How to get my private sale listing on realestate.com.au ?

Hiya

I've decided to sell my apartment privately. I'm in sales and confident of my own skills in marketing campaigns/collateral/sales/negotiation and know the product/area/numbers well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily pay an agents commission if they brought me a buyer.

I've seen http://reddirect.com.au/products have a $3,300 package that includes realestate.com.au

Is this the only option for listing my property privately with me as the contact on this website?

PS - I have searched the forums and read many threads.

Cheers

Liam

Hiya

I've decided to sell my apartment privately. I'm in sales and confident of my own skills in marketing campaigns/collateral/sales/negotiation and know the product/area/numbers well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily pay an agents commission if they brought me a buyer.

I've seen http://reddirect.com.au/products have a $3,300 package that includes realestate.com.au

Is this the only option for listing my property privately with me as the contact on this website?

PS - I have searched the forums and read many threads.

Cheers

Liam

Liam, you can only have your property put on re.com through an agent.

Their 1.75% deal looks brilliant from my perspective, way better than losing $3300 in commission with an agent. But I have a feeling that their "conditions apply" (I can't find the conditions on their site) might be assuming that the minimum fee is $3300, in which case the service is pointless for me and I might as well just go with a local agent.

I don't know what my house is worth, but I have a feeling that $100k is probably stretching it and its more likely to sell for $80k, which is barely turning a profit on a house I've had for almost 6 years.

Hi Liam

List it on Domain. If you know anyone in RE give them a call and they might put it on RE on your behalf with your mobile no. Depends on how friendly you are with them :)

Aside from this, put ads in local RE section of the paper (still widely read by lots of buyers!) run about 500 flyers in the immediate vicinity and stick a sign out the front.
Best of luck with it all!

you must be a licensed agent to use the site...however there are some "agents" out there who are prepared to allow you to use their RE.com access for a small fee. I don't know who they are in Melbourne...

as an example in qld there are companies like www.happeningrealestate.com.au charge you about 500 bucks for the privelege.

SO, they are out there, you just have to find them unfortunately

Awesome thanks guys. I've got it on domain.com.au, flyers are getting done as we speak and I was sitting on the fence re the local paper but will probably do it. It's an apartment so no sign for me.

Thanks for your tips and help :)

I know someone who is getting involved with this. He can get people's private listings onto realestate.com.au for $500.

I'll ask him to post here when its all finalised because it seems to be something a lot of forum members want.

I know someone who is getting involved with this. He can get people's private listings onto realestate.com.au for $500.

I'll ask him to post here when its all finalised because it seems to be something a lot of forum members want.
Aren't they going against the rules of the site? Would they publicly post who they are?

It is freaking annoying isn't it? Having the same problem. My PMs won't do me the favour, saying that their details come up on the listing. Should've pressed them some more. But have it listed on domain. This is for a rental so not too much of a problem seeing theres still a low vacancy around here.

the agents details will come up on the site - they can't change that...

they could put your mobile in the field - but the agency details come up automatically with the subscription. I can't speak for other states, but in qld that is where the problem is...under qld law you cannot perform the activities of an agent (including market a property) without a signed authority (form 22a) which obviously then has all sorts of issues for both parties surrounding providing a service for consideration etc.

From the Happening site:

3. Market your property on the best portal - realestate.com.au. Here is where we can help you. If you list your property with us, we will charge you a one time fee of $490 to list your property on realestate.com.au and other sites UNTIL SOLD. Included in this fee, we will provide you with an attractive sign, and we will also upgrade your property to "Featured Property" status for the first 30 days as well. Of course we will show your property on our happeningrealestate.com.au site, but make sure you get it on realestate.com.au for best results.

This discounted service involves no further commissions when your property sells. ZERO. NADA. But please note, you will be handling all the paperwork with your solicitors, all the meetings with inspectors and valuers and so on. At this price, you also must supply us with the photos and the text that you want to use.

We do reserve the right to increase this fee at any time - and we are being urged by some to do so - so if you want to sell and reduce your debt burden, NOW is a great chance to get started at a low cost.

The form 22a listing document will explicitly state that there is NO COMMISSION payable upon settlement. This can save you MANY THOUSANDS of dollars. We will take calls and enquiries, and direct the buyers to you. If you know how to qualify your enquirers, show your property and negotiate, you can save yourself the commission and get a great price for your property. If you would rather engage us to do all or some of those services for you as skilled agents, please see our fixed fee property marketing offers, payable upon settlement. It is entirely your choice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually $490 is cheap, even when compared to Domain's monthly fee of approx $300 to advertise. If I'd seen this when I was selling privately, I would have taken it up. Very cheap and attractive offer, especially considerin the ad is run until sold.

you must be a licensed agent to use the site...however there are some "agents" out there who are prepared to allow you to use their RE.com access for a small fee. I don't know who they are in Melbourne...

as an example in qld there are companies like www.happeningrealestate.com.au charge you about 500 bucks for the privelege.

SO, they are out there, you just have to find them unfortunately

Thanks for the link urban :)

Pleasure...

just be aware that as per my previous comments about the legislation - i reckon that this course of action - whilst helping private sellers - does skirt the legality of advertising in this state - it is a real grey area...even when it is done like they do it and write no commission payable in the 22a. there are plenty of other legislative compliance issues (for the agents) that this method cannot get out of - has to do with duty of care and responsibility for price and marketing etc etc...

good whilst you can get it from a sellers perspective though!!

Not only do the agent's detailsl come up by default but they are breaching the agreement with RE.com if they put up private listings.

The owners of re.com have made it very clear in their contracts with agents that they do not want private listings and that all listings must be accompanied by a sale agency agreement or property management agreement.

All agents that are listed on re.com.au have agreed to these conditions when they signed the contracts, whether they feel it is right or not that is just the cost of doing business with this particular internet listing!

As an agent I respect that and would not do any "favours" for people for $500!!! I think it is not only a breach of contract that can have this person barred from the website but it is also dishonest! He agreed to the contract rules so why is he now breaking it illegally?

Not only do the agent's detailsl come up by default but they are breaching the agreement with RE.com if they put up private listings.

The owners of re.com have made it very clear in their contracts with agents that they do not want private listings and that all listings must be accompanied by a sale agency agreement or property management agreement.

All agents that are listed on re.com.au have agreed to these conditions when they signed the contracts, whether they feel it is right or not that is just the cost of doing business with this particular internet listing!

As an agent I respect that and would not do any "favours" for people for $500!!! I think it is not only a breach of contract that can have this person barred from the website but it is also dishonest! He agreed to the contract rules so why is he now breaking it illegally?

But Xenia

There seems to be a sales agency agreement in place, just not a pro forma agreement from your local real estate institute loaded in favour of the agent.

Please feel free to point out where your contract with Re.com requires a
institute contract only.

You have been very quick to accuse a company of being dishonest and acting illegally.

I would have thought that you would be a supporter of a bit of lateral thinking?

With this sales agreement in place would you please show me where the dishonesty and illegallity comes into this.

Cheers

Pete

Pete I have to back Xenia there...

I hadn't considered it from that angle but she is correct - it is part of the terms of use that only agency listings be presented and whilst there is a 22a (govt form) in place with that company - it is for all intents and purposes a private sale.

I am no solicitor, but there may well be one or two breaches of the Trade Practices Act there regarding misrepresentations...

the other area I see the problem is that with a 22a signed there are a number of big issues that come from that. The most obvious is that what type of agency agreement has been signed - it would need to be an open or sole agency to acheive this, but further - the agency could show that they are the effective cause of the sale and overturn the no commission clause or claim further marketing fees etc.

as i said BIG grey areas...

I am not accusing the companies of being dodgy - but I hope they have done their homework here and protected themselves legally!

Pete I have to back Xenia there...

I hadn't considered it from that angle but she is correct - it is part of the terms of use that only agency listings be presented and whilst there is a 22a (govt form) in place with that company - it is for all intents and purposes a private sale.

I am no solicitor, but there may well be one or two breaches of the Trade Practices Act there regarding misrepresentations...

the other area I see the problem is that with a 22a signed there are a number of big issues that come from that. The most obvious is that what type of agency agreement has been signed - it would need to be an open or sole agency to acheive this, but further - the agency could show that they are the effective cause of the sale and overturn the no commission clause or claim further marketing fees etc.

as i said BIG grey areas...

I am not accusing the companies of being dodgy - but I hope they have done their homework here and protected themselves legally!

Hi UC

Agreed, this may be a grey area, and until it is tested it is a big step
to accuse a company of acting dishonestly and illegally.

I would be interested in knowing if you or Xenia has sighted one of these
contracts or are macking these judgements sight unseen?

Cheers

Pete

I think it is not only a breach of contract that can have this person barred from the website but it is also dishonest!

Illegal maybe, dishonest I don't think so.. I find it more dishonest the fact that RE.com is largely owned by a realestate company (Raywhite) whose intentions are to have the monopoly on advertising by not allowing ads of private sales.. in a way forcing people to use an agent and waste thousands in commission, as they see no other option.

rant over :)

Back