How to get a FIFO mining job - Pilbara

Their job involves standing at the entrance to enclosed spaces while someone works in them, keeping an eye out. They earn ridiculous dollars.

I have a suspicion that somebody male, or less attractive may not keep such an easy job or keep it at such an amazing rate as these two do.

Actually it cause the males have a habit of wandering off, going to sleep etc.
While their generally on facebook/phone half the time at least the girls pay a bit of attention.
Besides its hard for the guys to get annoyed at a chick for having to sign in/out every time. The eyecandy is a bonus.

This is an interesting website for anyone looking for a job up north. New but might take off.

http://www.fifobids.com.au/

The $200,000-a-Year Mine Worker

From the Wall St Journal

The $200,000-a-Year Mine Worker

MANDURAH, Australia—One of the fastest-growing costs in the global mining industry are workers like James Dinnison: the 25-year-old high-school dropout from Western Australia makes $200,000 a year running drills in underground mines to extract gold and other minerals.

The heavily tattooed Mr. Dinnison, who started in the mines seven years ago earning $100,000, owns a sky-blue 2009 Chevy Ute, which cost $55,000 before a $16,000 engine enhancement, and a $44,000 custom motorcycle. The price tag on his chihuahua, Dexter, which yaps at his feet: $1,200.

A precious commodity himself, Mr. Dinnison belongs to a class of nouveau riche rising in remote and mineral-rich parts of the world, such as Western Australia state, where mining companies are investing heavily to develop and expand iron-ore mines. Demand for those willing to work 12-hour days in sometimes dangerous conditions, while living for weeks in dusty small towns, is huge

Also The Punch

He drills. He earns. He spends. He doesn’t apologise

He’s a self-confessed “cashed-up bogan” earning $800 a day or more than $208,000 a year in Western Australia’s booming mining industry.

Since dropping out of Mandurah Catholic College in year 10, James “Jimmy” Dinnison, 25, has earned more than a million dollars, bought a house at aged 18, but sees no problem in splurging most of his hard-earned on boy’s toys.

Jimmy works extremely hard in tough, hot and dangerous conditions as a fly-in, fly-out driller working 12-hour shifts in the WA’s north-west, but he has also sparked fierce debate about the fall of the American economy, thanks to an intriguing profile in that country’s highest circulating newspaper, the influential Wall Street Journal.

Reporter Jon W. Miller was despatched to Perth’s satellite city of Mandurah where the publishing giant photographed the heavily-tattooed miner showing off his $55,000 Chevvy ute, during a few days of R & R after a stint up north.

In a country where unemployment averages nine per cent, the WSJ article published in print and online last week has touched a nerve about the apparent decline of capitalism in the US and the rise of the Occupation protest movement that mocks entrepreneurial drive and global-scale industrial development that is underpinning growth in Australia’s resource-rich west

What's a Driller do..

KEY PERFORMANCE TASKS:
•To carry out pre starts on rigs.
•To receive and follow instructions from the Site Drilling Supervisor.
•To carry out all duties in a safe and efficient manner.
•To train the Offsider in carrying out his duties in a safe and productive manner.
•To train the Offsider to Driller status.
•To sign off training sheets for Offsiders.
•To follow drill plan instructions as per Client's request.
•Produce clean drill core marked to the Client's requirements.

REQUIRED SKILLS:
•Knowledge of Drill Rig performance and capabilities
•Knowledge of controls, gauges, warning lamps and emergency procedures
•Understanding Drill Rig Safety features and industry safety legislation
•Ability to operate Drill Rigs safely
•Ability to organise and establish priorities
•Ability to follow up and complete tasks
•Must be able to work in a team environment.
•Must be physically fit to work in conditions where one is subjected to noise, heat, cold, dampness, darkness, dust and fumes
•Ability and strength to pull and push 3 metre rods

MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:

A minimum of 12 months as a trained Driller

Police clearance (no older than 3 months)
Valid Driver’s licence
Basic First Aid
Mine Health Surveillance certificate (WA

How to get a mining job

It can be hard to get a foot in the door in mining in western australia but its not impossible. I was applying for ages without any luck. A mate of mine looked at my resume and thought it was not good enough so i decided to get it professionaly written and that was the best thing i ever did. I was living in Melbourne at the time and went through this company called Aspiring Resumes. I applied for a few dump truck driver jobs and I got one with Rio Tinto. If your having trouble getting in then get help. Thats all it takes.

http://aspiringresumes.com.au

It can be hard to get a foot in the door in mining in western australia but its not impossible. I was applying for ages without any luck. A mate of mine looked at my resume and thought it was not good enough so i decided to get it professionaly written and that was the best thing i ever did. I was living in Melbourne at the time and went through this company called Aspiring Resumes. I applied for a few dump truck driver jobs and I got one with Rio Tinto. If your having trouble getting in then get help. Thats all it takes.

http://aspiringresumes.com.au

Thats Amazing!

There must be more to it than a spunky resume though Geoff :confused:

What these articles fail to mention is how long the hours are and how lonely it can get at times. My brother is working as a nurse as a fifo in these remote towns and is earning about 250k per annum but he is always on call, deals with all sorts of issues (many that would scare the crap out of a local sydney medico) and it is extremely lonely. He might be on good pay but he works damn hard for it. Im sure these guys are as well.

Coasty
Absolutely, but I guess most are only there for the money and are prepared to work in harsh conditions and sacrifice lifestyle.

I orginally posted this some time ago and I would like to give u guys an update.

OK T has been working in Perth, power generator co. .... was recently offered a position with Woodside $200K FIFO as long if he signed contract for 4 years he was offered a bonus of 1 full year pay at end of this term.

He was offered this position via a contact/friend who works for Woodside. T did not take up position, just announced engagement to my neice, I think that was the big one.

Cheers, MTR

Coasty
Absolutely, but I guess most are only there for the money and are prepared to work in harsh conditions and sacrifice lifestyle.

Harsh Conditions, are you talking exploration camps or working as a drillers offsider etc?

I orginally posted this some time ago and I would like to give u guys an update.

OK T has been working in Perth, power generator co. .... was recently offered a position with Woodside $200K FIFO as long if he signed contract for 4 years he was offered a bonus of 1 full year pay at end of this term.

He was offered this position via a contact/friend who works for Woodside. T did not take up position, just announced engagement to my neice, I think that was the big one.

Cheers, MTR

What kind of hrs per day and roster was that at $200k

T :confused:

Coasty

MTR originally it was the money but now to me its the time off. I see more of my family working away than I would if I was working in my trade at home.

If I was working at home I'd be gone by 6:30 only to return home at dinner time, play with the kids for half hour then put them to bed. Repeat for 6 days and on Sunday do a few odd jobs around the house, then do it all over again. All for a grand or so a week in the hand and no life style.

Working away for 3 weeks means that I am home for a solid 6 months a year where I drop the kids at school, pick them up, go to swimming or any other classes they may do, do odd jobs at my leisure, hang out , go to the shops, beach etc. All this for 4.5 grand a week in the hand and any life style I choose.

I know which one I prefer...

Harsh Conditions, are you talking exploration camps or working as a drillers offsider etc?

Redwing most shifts are 12 hrs a day for 21 days straight (offshore) but not 100% sure for onshore hrs but think they work 4 weeks 10hrs a day? on and 1 week off in the mines. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards

It's true that there are jobs out there that do pay the reported dollars. But along with the big dollars can be big losses. I have seen my fair share of people that are stuck in the "mining rut" just living out life with no direction or goal. Plenty of failed marriages/relationships, loss of social connections with the rest of the world, the list goes on. You miss out on the small things that you take for granted when you're working a 9-5 city job. You do get the longer break at home but to get that you need to work 12-13 hour days and wake at 4-5 am for the duration of your roster which could be either 8,9, or 14 days straight. The 14 days roster consists of 7 night shifts as well which when finished you fly back home for R&R break a zombie and take a few days to recover. There are a few people out there making something of the opportunity but the fair majority are burning it as fast as they earn it. Just because you earn big dollars doesn't mean you have the brains to know how to use it in the most effective way. Lack of a good education in many limits many from realising the opportunity that's in front of them.

The construction rosters can be 3 or 4 weeks on with one week of for R&R break.

I have known a few that have done quite well for themselves but had a goal and stuck to it, lived within their means and invested the rest. This is the same approach that I'm taking which is working out well so far.

Hi RW
What I mean is the general environment heat, isolation.

I do not know the details about the roster etc.

MTR

MTR originally it was the money but now to me its the time off. I see more of my family working away than I would if I was working in my trade at home.

If I was working at home I'd be gone by 6:30 only to return home at dinner time, play with the kids for half hour then put them to bed. Repeat for 6 days and on Sunday do a few odd jobs around the house, then do it all over again. All for a grand or so a week in the hand and no life style.

Working away for 3 weeks means that I am home for a solid 6 months a year where I drop the kids at school, pick them up, go to swimming or any other classes they may do, do odd jobs at my leisure, hang out , go to the shops, beach etc. All this for 4.5 grand a week in the hand and any life style I choose.

I know which one I prefer...

Redwing most shifts are 12 hrs a day for 21 days straight (offshore) but not 100% sure for onshore hrs but think they work 4 weeks 10hrs a day? on and 1 week off in the mines. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards

Yep, I am sure it works well for some who have a plan stick to it and reap the rewards.

All the best to you

MTR

Mining jobs

This is another way to get jobs int he mines. Have a look below.

A unique opportunity is being offered to talented Tasmanian trade workers with skills, but not necessarily a full qualification.

The National Apprenticeships Program (NAP) is seeking expressions of interest from job seekers wanting to formalise their skills into Trade Qualifications. NAP is offering adult apprenticeships, to assist workers complete trade training potentially within 18 months – much shorter than the traditional four-year model.

Do you have to be located in Tas to take advantage? I'm almost inclined to move to Tasmania for 18 months to pick up a trade. (I'm pretty comfortable with my job at the moment, but an official trade qualification could come in handy)

Back