New Website - Get your credit score instantly

Saw this article this morning which lead me to the site in question --> https://www.getcreditscore.com.au

Apparently it's free and instantaneous to get your credit score.

I haven't tried it myself yet as I'm wary about putting all my details on this new website but I'm probably just being too paranoid.

I see it being a good tool though. It may only just give your credit score but if someone scores in the red when they think they should be in the green it can lead them to investigate further before any applications are lodged.

They're collecting a lot of personal information...

We collect most personal information directly from you. For example, we will collect your personal information when you apply for or use a service or talk to us in person or on the phone. Your personal information may include credit-related information.

We also collect information from you electronically. When you use our website, mobile or tablet applications, we may collect information about your location or activity including the date of time of visits, which pages are viewed, how you as the user navigate through the website and interact with the webpages (including fields completed in forms and applications), IP address, telephone number, information about the device used to visit our website and whether you?ve accessed third party sites. Some of this website information we collect using Cookies.

We collect information about you from others, such as service providers, agents, Australian government agencies or advisers. For example, if we assist you to obtain your credit reporting information or your credit score on your behalf, we may receive credit-related information about you including identification information about you, information about your existing lines of credit, repayment history information, statements that an information request has been made in relation to you by a credit provider, mortgage insurer or trade insurer, the type and amount of credit sought in a credit application by you to a credit provider, default information, payment information, court proceedings information, personal insolvency information or information derived by a credit reporting body such as a credit report.

So that we can better tailor information and products to your needs, when we send you email messages, we may use technology to identify you so that we can know when you have opened the email or clicked on a particular link in the email.

The privacy policy does say that they comply with the privacy act (which it appears they do), but to provide this service they do need to collect a lot of personal information about you and they do store the results.

They're also connecting your credit score with your IP address. They know your financials and where you conduct your online interfaces from.

Then there's the line in the terms of use:

You authorise Us to collect and access your information from time to time for the purpose of providing Our services to you.

It also doesn't appear to be a government initiative, rather a private funder

http://www.societyone.com.au/

It's performing a massive amount of data mining on what's probably your most sensitive data. Businesses can't normally get this without your explicit permission. They can then go back and get it again at regular intervals at their discretion.

Alternately you can get the same info from Veda (the source of the information) within 24 hours for $40 for within about a week for free.

Alternately you can get the same info from Veda (the source of the information) within 24 hours for $40 for within about a week for free.

The only negative about that seems that it goes onto your credit file. I don't know if this has any negative consequences, but it does show up on there.

It may well be free,but from my experience nothing free in life,and can they onsell your data up or down the chain,once they have your
'DOB" Car driving data ,ppor,i'm not trying to gauge their knowledge and once they have your data,they can set the range as wide as they see fit to anyone by the wording in the contract ..imho..
Thanks for the link..

Im pretty sure if you look at your own credit file it DOESNT go on your credit file. And with the new regime when a broker does an 'access only' report, this too doesnt get stored on your file, or more accurately doesnt get listed when a lender does their credit checks.

I saw this as well - it's certainly interesting.

I'll wait and see how it pans out before trying it myself though..

I know for a fact with the old system, it is noted as a credit file access, but it wasnt counted like a credit enquiry,

but im not sure of the new system,

I would like to get a free score and see how I am

I went on this morning at around 8.00 and couldn't get through.

Interesting in the article it is saying the big banks haven't come to the party with credit information sharing with the positive credit reporting changes that came in a while ago. I think most people just assumed they would jump on in but looks like they have strategically decided not to. People to People lending cant work unless the credit scoring info is accurate so a lot of those sites are talking a big game but currently reject something like 90 -95% of applications.

Address thing is working now I think but tells me it can't find a match for me. I do get my Veda report yearly so I know my details are right. Grrr.

I just did it. it says that the enquiry doesn't affect the score.
Hopefully I can opt out of any marketing material.
Will find out more info from Veda. :)

They're collecting a lot of personal information...
<snip>

Agreed, there has been a few of these sites popping up recently. I personally would wait the week for the free Veda copy rather than give a site such a massive amount of personal details.

Even if its perfectly legit they are storing that data which is one more possible location for it to be leaked/hacked.

The only thing with the free Veda one is that it doesn't give you your credit score.

yes, I just found that out today, I got my credit report, and was expecting a score of somesort,

I received my usual credit file and nothing unusual, but im very curious of my score,

whats everyone else doing?

edit: just got a score of 783,

thought I would do a bit better, but I had a credit card application about 12 months ago,

what sort of scores is everyone else getting?

Back