Super?

I have a Super fund that I've been keeping alive only because of the term life insurance within that fund and the fact I couldn't get that deal again

$900.00 contributed last financial year
$476.22 fees, taxes, deductions

Fund Performance

Capital Stable 1 yr 2.89%
Managed Growth 1 yr - 4.50%

Capital Stable 5 yr 1.26%
Managed Growth 5 yr - 3.94%

Capital Stable 10 yr 3.21%
Managed Growth 10 yr 2.36%

Super?

My father commented to me today that my mother had contributed money to a super fund since 2006 up till this year, and she now has less money than the balance in 2006!!! Another couple joining the SMSF bandwagon I'm afraid...

I have a Super fund that I've been keeping alive only because of the term life insurance within that fund and the fact I couldn't get that deal again

$900.00 contributed last financial year
$476.22 fees, taxes, deductions

Fund Performance

Capital Stable 1 yr 2.89%
Managed Growth 1 yr - 4.50%

Capital Stable 5 yr 1.26%
Managed Growth 5 yr - 3.94%

Capital Stable 10 yr 3.21%
Managed Growth 10 yr 2.36%

Super?

+1 Super?

Intention of super was good when compulsory super was implemented but then big super companies took their cut and government took their cut so longterm returns were worst then predicted.

Super has it's time and place as one pillar in an individuals wealth creation especially once you get over 200K and start your own SMSF but a lot of people may not be able to do this for various reasons.

I still have 11 years until I reach pension age (if I need a handout) but I enjoy learning about super and planning my strategies to manage and then rearrange as government fiddles with super.

Would be nice if the current policy of money in super is tax free after 60 years of age continues as I will be 60 in 4 years time OMG! :eek:

In the meantime we have implemented the transition to retirement income stream, didn't need to but I thought get some money out of super and put in offset on IP loans since the tax free earning threshold has increased from 6K.

Buying IP's is about controlling properties and managing loans and income.

Building up super is about adequate life insurance (especially totally and permanently disabled or death cover) and getting to a point where you can control super and increase income.

Cheers
Sheryn

Don't forget that super is a structure and not an asset class. It is like a trust (they are trusts actually) - it is where the trust invests the money that is the problem.

Super is a tool to do a job, a poor workman blames his tools. You can run your super on a platform or wrap and take some control and resonsibility yourself and pay performance based fees. You could get 6% just by putting your super into cash, and over 10% in a property index and over 40% on the half you can leverage.

One strategy

If you control your super you can decide which Aussie shares to buy and you can keep it simple by looking around at local companies what are they doing to improve themselves are they doing a good job and are they paying a dividend more than the banks term deposit rate.

http://www.superguide.com.au/compar...ibutor-how-1-million-can-last-longer-than-you

Article explains one reason why Telstra's share price has gone up.

Regards
Sheryn

PS
Our super return yield this year is about the same as our property return yield but my property asset value has gone down approximately 10% {if I needed to sell} compared to 3 years ago and super share value has gone up slightly {if I needed to sell}.

Cheers
Sheryn

I also have an inbuild sickness and accident, as well as permanent disability and death insurance in mine.

Roughly 80% of my super is a guaranteed amount, so not dependent of how the markets are doing or the expertise of the fund managers, but the other 20% or so is.

This is how mine fared:

1 year
Growth (mine) 1.99%
Capital Defensive 9.26%

3 year avg
Growth 8.45%
Capital Defensive 9.23%

10 year avg
Growth 6.06%
Capital Defensive n/a (but 5 year avg was 5.39%)

I have an industry fund too, from doing the odd bit of work in the private sector over the years, that keeps growing even though nothing has gone into that account for years... but then industry funds are know for their low fees.

Figures for the same time frames over whole private share/property portfolios, including their expenses, taxes and charges, would provide a more accurate camparison.

redwing, who is your super with?

just wait until super funds are mandated to buy govt bonds for a real, negative return.

you may laugh, but it's already happening in the US.

You do know that you can choose to move your assets around within your fund? Ours have been put into cash or fixed interest during financial declines and back into growth as the markets improve. We are doing pretty well considering how poorly the IPs in Brisbane have done over the past two to three years. Without going off to locate the exact details, our two funds have grown by about half as much again in the past five years whereas Brisbane RE dropped about ten percent in 07 and 08 and still have not returned to the values they were five years ago.

I must admit I have been depositing $100 a fortnight into my super since 2008 but DH does not add anything, so we are relying mostly on employer contributions and govt contributions. My balance has doubled in that time, mainly due to the suggestions of a group of housewives on a consumer's forum I belonged to who invested during the GFC against the typical advice of financial planners.

Super has it's time and place as one pillar in an individuals wealth creation especially once you get over 200K and start your own SMSF but a lot of people may not be able to do this for various reasons.

....hmmm....I wouldn't call it a pillar....more of an irrelevant little stump that holds up nothing.

If you are relying on super to keep you warm and fed during your retirement years, then frankly, you haven't done a very good job in planning and executing your retirement strategy.

We ignore super. We cannot control the rules, and have no say in the ever changing regulations that govern it's deposit mechanism, it's life whilst in there and also it's extraction and usage rules.....therefore it is useless to us.

I don't know one successful individual who relies on super, or anything to do with super.

....hmmm....I wouldn't call it a pillar....more of an irrelevant little stump that holds up nothing.

People on an average wage should start somewhere, super may be a little stump but it grows

If you are relying on super to keep you warm and fed during your retirement years, then frankly, you haven't done a very good job in planning and executing your retirement strategy.

Super is but one part which is keeping me fed

We ignore super. We cannot control the rules, and have no say in the ever changing regulations that govern it's deposit mechanism, it's life whilst in there and also it's extraction and usage rules.....therefore it is useless to us.

As I wrote previously I enjoy learning about super and changing our strategies as the g'ment tweaks the rules each to there own.

I don't know one successful individual who relies on super, or anything to do with super.

We don't rely on super nor do we rely on cash money frozen in a mortgage fund and I may well have extracted all of our money out of super by the time we are 66.5 years as I read an interesting article / strategy the other week but time will tell.

The little person has to start somewhere...

Horses for courses.

Kind regards
Sheryn

BTW
We are in your neck of the woods and head down to Mandurah tomorrow.

I know plenty of highly successful people who use the tax haven of super as part of their plans.

What would be a suitable amount sitting in a Superannuation Account for the average Australian to rely upon in their golden years then?

According to The Australian

$500,000 superannuation falls short for retirement

181144-how-long-your-super-will-last.jpg

Actuarial modelling using income of $19,399 a year as the "modest" benchmark and $37,452 as a "comfortable" amount for an individual's needs, found $500,000 in superannuation would last a person drawing the comfortable amount each year to the age of 89, still a year shy of the average life expectancy for someone reaching 65.

"Most people with $500,000 in superannuation assets would probably expect both to obtain more from an allocated pension and for it to last longer," he said.

Its not a problems to be fixed anytime soon

Last year, women aged 55 to 64 years were estimated to have an average superannuation balance of about $54,500, with average male superannuation balances at $113,200, data from the University of Canberra's NATSEM unit found.

While average superannuation balances are climbing as employer superannuation contributions mount up, the retirement savings gap remains a vast problem in Australia, with the most recent estimate by Rice Warner actuaries putting the figure at $695 billion.

Source

Just reading this piece at present

Abysmal returns are a super shame Alan Kohler

The superannuation industry lost more than $18 billion of clients’ funds last financial year. Part of this is explained by the high average allocation to equities.

What a dismal tale of woe is the Australian retirement savings industry.

Figures released by APRA on Friday show that, in total, the industry lost $18.5 billion of their clients’ money in the financial year to June, which was only partly made up by $6.5 billion in incomes (interest and dividends).

It’s true that contributions were strong, but only because of mandatory salary deductions, and only if you include self-managed funds, which, amusingly, the Financial Services Council did in its press release on the figures on Friday.

Voluntary contributions, in fact, declined, money poured into self-managed funds and the industry suffered net outward rollovers of $6.2 billion.

But that’s just one year – a better way to look at it is over the long term

The average rate of return from the superannuation industry between 1997 and June 2012 was 4.9% a year, and the volatility was 8.4%.

For most of that time the 10-year Government bond yield fluctuated between 5% and 6.5% and, more importantly, the average return from the All Ordinaries accumulation index for the past 15 years has been 7.03% per annum.

For the year just ended, net investment earnings for the whole industry were $6.3 billion and expenses totalled $4.7 billion. But for retail funds, net investment earnings were MINUS $1 billion – yet expenses were another $2.7 billion.

Cont..........

Source

Another vote from me for super being basically useless.

Its not super that is useless but the industry managed funds where the money is invested.

Super is just a vehicle. If you personally invested in these same funds you would have got the same result.

Instead You could have your super invest in listed shares directly or in property.

The more I think about super the more I realise how good it can be.

Look at these advantages:
- Great asset proteciton
- Low tax environment. (if you are on 46% tax rate, diverting $25,000 pa into super is saving you 31% tax!)
- Income of the fund can be tax free when you start drawing an income stream. This includes capital gains fee.

So imagine you had some money built up in super. You go and set up a SMSF and buy a residential property. use 20% deposit and borrow 80%. Use a lender that does not require personal guarantees, so this loan won't affect your borrowing ability later. Get the 100% offset account and put all new income from the 9% employer contribution and rent from the property into this account.

The fund can claim depreciation on building and fittings and claim loan costs over 5 years. So the property may be positive geared but with a negative income. This will offset the tax on new contributions (I think).

You hold up and the offset account keeps increasing with rents rising and contributions coming in. The fund may even have a small tax loss which can be carried forward.

You also get your life insurance paid for by the fund.

After a while the fund has enough money for a deposit and costs on the next one. You keep buying in the fund and end up with several properties.

You then start a transition to retirement pension. This could be as early as 55 years of age.

When drawing a pension/income stream from the fund any asset of the fund will be tax free if it supports the pension. So you could sell one property, which hopefully has tripled in value by now and this capital gain will be exempt.

While drawing a pension you can continue to work and reduce your salary so more of your money goes back into super saving you more tax while you can supplement your income with the pension from the fund.

This sounds pretty good to me. Especially if you are around the 45 years old and are on a good income.

Its not super that is useless but the industry managed funds where the money is invested.

Super is just a vehicle. If you personally invested in these same funds you would have got the same result.

Instead You could have your super invest in listed shares directly or in property.

The more I think about super the more I realise how good it can be.

Look at these advantages:
- Great asset proteciton
- Low tax environment. (if you are on 46% tax rate, diverting $25,000 pa into super is saving you 31% tax!)
- Income of the fund can be tax free when you start drawing an income stream. This includes capital gains fee.

So imagine you had some money built up in super. You go and set up a SMSF and buy a residential property. use 20% deposit and borrow 80%. Use a lender that does not require personal guarantees, so this loan won't affect your borrowing ability later. Get the 100% offset account and put all new income from the 9% employer contribution and rent from the property into this account.

The fund can claim depreciation on building and fittings and claim loan costs over 5 years. So the property may be positive geared but with a negative income. This will offset the tax on new contributions (I think).

You hold up and the offset account keeps increasing with rents rising and contributions coming in. The fund may even have a small tax loss which can be carried forward.

You also get your life insurance paid for by the fund.

After a while the fund has enough money for a deposit and costs on the next one. You keep buying in the fund and end up with several properties.

You then start a transition to retirement pension. This could be as early as 55 years of age.

When drawing a pension/income stream from the fund any asset of the fund will be tax free if it supports the pension. So you could sell one property, which hopefully has tripled in value by now and this capital gain will be exempt.

While drawing a pension you can continue to work and reduce your salary so more of your money goes back into super saving you more tax while you can supplement your income with the pension from the fund.

This sounds pretty good to me. Especially if you are around the 45 years old and are on a good income.

Agree with all that Terry states. Super as a default fund has probably been awful as the exposure to REIT's, Unhedged Int Shares and Aussies Shares over the past 3 years have beenawful. Substitute in Industrial Aust Shares, Hedged Intl Shares & Fixed Interest in the credit space and youve done well. however most balanced funds have done awful, my personal fund has outperfomed my properties on a % basis only

As for a structure, there is no better structure, depending on when you require income in australia to provide a return

As for a structure, there is no better structure, depending on when you require income in australia to provide a return

Noel Whittaker had a lovely little cartoon in his series of books (I believe it was in his "Living Well in Retirement" book) where the paperman was throwing the daily paper, and a second wadge of paper with the daily changes that the Govt made to it's super regulations.

As an accountant, Noel couldn't possibly keep up with it, and employed others to summarise the pertinent bits for him.

That was in the late 80's.

Anyone who made their retirement big life decisions back then, with a view to retiring and living off the super in 25 years time, finds themselves today in a wholly different set of circumstances and restrictions that none of them or their advisers could have ever predicted.

Their assumptions 25 years ago are all invalid today, and their retirement years are 100% at the mercy of the Govt. What a disempowering prospect that would be.

As an investment vehicle, it might have a V8 and nice clear road ahead of it, but it doesn't have a steering wheel, and you must forever remain in the back seat like a child and be driven wherever the chauffeur decides to take you. The chauffeur has no licence, is changed out regularly and has no steering wheel either.

Back