Somersoft Cars

here i am, late 20s with a sweet ve ss commodore which im thinking of trading in for a 4 cylinder medium size car.....whats wrong with me.

Why would you want to do that? SS's are a good buy new, can buy them for about $40k brand new drive away and flick them 3 years later to a starry eyed youngster for most of that purchase price.

gees they are getting cheaper...

http://www.carsales.com.au/bncis/de...eapi=2&__N=1216+1246&num=15&silo=Stock&items=[Make:HOLDEN,Model:COMMODORE,BaseEnabledBadge:SS]&sort=~Price

Why would you want to do that? SS's are a good buy new, can buy them for about $40k brand new drive away and flick them 3 years later to a starry eyed youngster for most of that purchase price.

im smashing 25kms per annum, theres a few repairs comig up and the juice is quite expensive.

im smashing 25kms per annum, theres a few repairs comig up and the juice is quite expensive.

yeh flick it off now and go buy a brand newy. You wont get similar value or resale in many other cars, tho that toyota cruiser that has just been announced as in line for model deletion retains about 90% after 2 years, but the capital outlay at about $70k is quite a bit

I like my Holden statesman,
Its fast,fuel efficient and safe for my children

Attachments

• statesman.jpg
    statesman.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 74
  • int statesman.jpg
    int statesman.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 74
Current Car: Mazda2
Surprisingly fun to drive, handles well for a low end car, easy to park.

We have a mazda 2 as well... I like to tell people it was "buy one, get one free" at the mazda dealer.
We had a Subaru Liberty, which had been great. We took it in for a 100K service and it was never the same. drove it out of the mechnic, 10km down the road, it stopped. it took the mechanic 3 monhths to get it working again!:mad::confused:
they had replaced something in the service and installed it slightly incorrectly
got it back, less than a week later, it stopped again. they'd cut the hose running from hte radiator.
took it somewhere else and it came back with a problem with the aircon.

we finally decided to replace it. decided on Mazda CX7, got a good price on a demonstrator..... but I get a car allowance through work. So, we paid full price for the CX7, added up the demo discount, the trade in (made sure the aircon as turned off!) and a discount, and got the Mazda 2 for "free".

New tyres

Slightly off tangent - but I recently got new tyres on my Mazda 2....

The Toyo's that came with the car lasted 90,000km (which is whopping in my books).... but quite expensive to replace (I got quoted $150 each!! :eek:)

Anyway, I went to Kmart and tried out those cheapest $65 Diamond Backs.

Almost 9,000km in, I'm very happy with them. I haven't fully tested out their lateral grip and emergency stops, but so far no major aquaplaning or balance issues. I guess at that so for price, even if they last only 45,000km I'd be in front. :D

The Y-man

Slightly off tangent - but I recently got new tyres on my Mazda 2....

The Toyo's that came with the car lasted 90,000km (which is whopping in my books).... but quite expensive to replace (I got quoted $150 each!! :eek:)

Anyway, I went to Kmart and tried out those cheapest $65 Diamond Backs.

Almost 9,000km in, I'm very happy with them. I haven't fully tested out their lateral grip and emergency stops, but so far no major aquaplaning or balance issues. I guess at that so for price, even if they last only 45,000km I'd be in front. :D

The Y-man

Got some Pirrellis for the Touareg - $375 each :eek::eek:
Maybe i'll look at kmart next time ;)

Next time you want to get tyres, go online to Tirerack.com

That is where i have bought my last few sets. Cannot be the price. It's usually about $250 to ship 4 tyres to your door. Last set of go where $550 each locally and I picked them up for $250 :)

My next set are only $180 each and they are high end tyres!

I don't like to skimp on tyres. I will shop around for a good price, but will generally buy brands and sizes I know are good and work well on the vehicle in question.

Next time you want to get tyres, go online to Tirerack.com

That is where i have bought my last few sets. Cannot be the price. It's usually about $250 to ship 4 tyres to your door. Last set of go where $550 each locally and I picked them up for $250 :)

My next set are only $180 each and they are high end tyres!

I picked up some Goodyear Eagle Asyms when they were first released.

$2100 in Australia.

Total price from Tirerack? $945

It's a shame - it's not the tyre dealers fault. It's the supplier. But the tyre shops are the ones getting affected.

Got some Pirrellis for the Touareg - $375 each :eek::eek:
Maybe i'll look at kmart next time ;)

That's the problem with all these new fangled 4WD trucks going to wide, rediculously low profile (relatively speaking) tyres on huge rims.

I'm a huge fan of narrow tall tyres on steel rims - but then again, my 4WD spent a lot of time off the black stuff :D where a 255/55 R18 might get staked or hit a big rock and give the wheel a nice ding...

The Y-man

I picked up some Goodyear Eagle Asyms when they were first released.

$2100 in Australia.

Total price from Tirerack? $945

It's a shame - it's not the tyre dealers fault. It's the supplier. But the tyre shops are the ones getting affected.

They are getting affected. I am happy to pay more for goods here in Australia but at double the cost, it's hard to justify it.

I don't like to skimp on tyres. I will shop around for a good price, but will generally buy brands and sizes I know are good and work well on the vehicle in question.

I think the combination of intended use and vehicle in question is the key thing.

For example, one of the absolutely "worst" set of tyres I have ever owned was a set of rather pricey (at the time for me! $180 each) Goodyear Eagle NCT's that pretty much chunked out and left steel belts exposed after only 60km (yes, that's 60 kilometres folks) of hard driving. Same car, same driving on a set of $100 Firestones lasted several seasons.

The Y-man

will keep that in mind for the future.....

interestingly, we have found hte mazda 2 expensive to service. i think it is regulalry considerably more expensive than the CX7

Little off topic...

Anyone test driven one of the new Toyota 86's or the Subaru equivalent? Rave reviews apparently - might take one for a spin soon.

Little off topic...

Anyone test driven one of the new Toyota 86's or the Subaru equivalent? Rave reviews apparently - might take one for a spin soon.

Haven't driven one but a mate of mine works for Toyota and is desperately trying to get one as a company car......not much luck for a fair while yet. They are supposed to be very good which is why there is such a wait.

As a tyre retailer, this mentality really pizzes me.

Why?

Because no-one thinks twice about filling the tank with $80 (or more) of fuel every week, yet they squeal abut paying $100-$150 for a tyre which will last 3 or so years.

By the way; Toyos are overpriced, and only available through Tyrepower as a rule (we can get 'em, but not competitive - makes 'em even more expensive).

You can get just as good for a fair bit less most times.

Back