Has anyone really experienced a family-friendly workplace?

I work for the SA public service and wasn't aware of a 2 year unpaid maternity leave.

It was always 1 year, extended to 18 month under special circumstances (I was knocked back).

Aw man! I know I should be happy for you Mamaof3 but as someone who didn't score well enough in the 'public servant entrance test' (do they still do those?) I have ever since been sad for the cushy life I could have had.

I'm hoping next year to get a job after 8 years out of the workforce due to kids. A lot of the kinder mums I speak to are in the same boat, so we will all be trying to get that same job that is part time, school hours, family friendly, not too hard, not too dull etc etc next year.

Very frustrating... sorry to vent :(

Do businesses have these requirements as well, or only govt? i think that would disadvantage women in the workplace... i'd be scared of employing someone of child bearing age!! :rolleyes:
Don't know the answer to this one, as my current industry employ is not that well represented by females (automotive mechanical and tyres).

But I'll say this; if girls were contemplating a career in XYZ or ABC industries, and they knew that XYZ offered the maternity leave perks and ABC didn't, they would probably gravitate towards XYZ for a chosen career.

Alternatively; an employer who can operate a business without having to employ females, but who is obligated to supply the above maternity conditions in that industry, is not going to willingly employ a female; no matter how good she is on the resume.

Now; that may seem like discrimination, and no employer would ever openly admit it because he/she would get sued and/or fined, but it's the reality of running a business and staying afloat.

As an employee; these perks are terrific - good on the Unions for winning those concessions, yeah?

Countdown to Ev jumping in with a "get over it stop whinging" post in 10...9...8...7...

I'm hoping next year to get a job after 8 years out of the workforce due to kids. A lot of the kinder mums I speak to are in the same boat, so we will all be trying to get that same job that is part time, school hours, family friendly, not too hard, not too dull etc etc next year.

Very frustrating... sorry to vent :(

Government's your best bet if you want flexibility and good conditions.

I'm hoping next year to get a job after 8 years out of the workforce due to kids. A lot of the kinder mums I speak to are in the same boat, so we will all be trying to get that same job that is part time, school hours, family friendly, not too hard, not too dull etc etc next year. (

in my experience, "school hours" jobs are frustrating for everyone.. worker/ employer and customers. the day just isnt long enough to get everything done, and if you are part time, it will be a whole week before you can finish.

maybe some of the mums can form an afterschool babysitting roster, so they can work a full day without having to use after school care.

Edmond I did broking for a few years while I took a break from this industry. Then my daughter got a bit bigger and working from home got tough, so decided to work away from home and broking for someone else would've only pretty much paid for daycare fees. Handed in my license a few months ago. Hmm if I knew then what I knew now. Nevermind.

Wow working for the govt sounds very cushy!

Edmond I did broking for a few years while I took a break from this industry. Then my daughter got a bit bigger and working from home got tough, so decided to work away from home and broking for someone else would've only pretty much paid for daycare fees. Handed in my license a few months ago. Hmm if I knew then what I knew now. Nevermind.

Wow working for the govt sounds very cushy!

Too cushy for some.

Left government service as a middle manager in 1998 after all the BS got too much. Such bikering over things like:

Office is smaller than Joe's.
Not wanting to change jobs because of the loss of driving a govvy car home overnight.
Endless reorganisations, rebranding etc with timewasting meetings and then dealing with people having to apply for their jobs.
So many "training" courses.

The mind boggles in the amount of wasted time in the public service.

In the private sector you sit where you are told, park where you can, get told that you made redundant by email and to be out of the building by CoB and any training is done on your time at your cost.

Too cushy for some.

Left government service as a middle manager in 1998 after all the BS got too much. Such bikering over things like:

Office is smaller than Joe's.
Not wanting to change jobs because of the loss of driving a govvy car home overnight.
Endless reorganisations, rebranding etc with timewasting meetings and then dealing with people having to apply for their jobs.
So many "training" courses.

The mind boggles in the amount of wasted time in the public service.

I call it the 'Wheel Reinvention Committee'.

I have to say that being a public servant in SA has been fantastic compared to what other employees do/don't get.

In SA (not sure if same interstate) we're allowed to take a total of 2yrs off when you have a baby. So basically you can stay home and your job is still yours until your baby turns 2yrs of age. Then at 2yrs of age, you have to return to work but you can choose for how many days so it can be 1 or 2 or 3 etc.

Well, i had a baby in 2007, got 18 weeks paid maternity leave, then unpaid leave till 2009 when i had my 2nd baby, got paid 18 weeks maternity leave again and stayed off work until 2010 when i had my 3rd baby, got paid another lot of maternity leave and i can stay off work till november this year when my youngest turns 2. So i've been away from work for almost 5yrs, got 3 x lots of maternity leave paid and my job is still there for me. Managers aint happy because they've been unable to secure decent replacements for me during my time off because they're only able to offer people contract positions because the permanent position still belongs to me.

I've just recently decided to go back 2 days a week and i rock up at 7:30am and leave at 4pm and in that, i have TOIL up my sleeve. When i accumulate a total of 7.5hrs of TOIL i can take a day off. So some weeks i'm only in the office 1 day because the other day is taken as TOIL. Working hours are flexible, we have Mothers in our office that have negotiated their working hours so they're able to leave at 3pm to pick up their kids from school. Or some even are able to work from home (depends on your job) for a couple of the days.

I can't complain really, the only thing they could do to improve things is offer on-site child care!

as "fantastic" as that sounds i think it is completely ridiculous. you have been paid 54 weeks pay and had a position held for you since 2007. not only are they now out 54 weeks but there will be the natural inefficiencies with not having someone fulltime on that role in the meantime as well as having to pay higher contract rates for the people who have worked in that role over the last 5 years

people talk about a bloated and inefficient public sector, the above example perfectly illustrates it

not having a go at you personally, i just think it is stupidity of the highest order. how much money is wasted each and every year on policies like this?

as "fantastic" as that sounds i think it is completely ridiculous. you have been paid 54 weeks pay and had a position held for you since 2007. not only are they now out 54 weeks but there will be the natural inefficiencies with not having someone fulltime on that role in the meantime as well as having to pay higher contract rates for the people who have worked in that role over the last 5 years

people talk about a bloated and inefficient public sector, the above example perfectly illustrates it

100 internets to you, sanj.

not having a go at you personally, i just think it is stupidity of the highest order. how much money is wasted each and every year on policies like this?

Let me assure you this is not common. I suspect it's still 12 months maternity leave with anything over that requiring special consideration - I doubt it's an automatic entitlement.

I know of one other person only that took 18 months off (thought I'd try it but got knocked back) and that's it.

Deskilling would be a big issue if you stayed away for a few years in my workplace too, and you would be seen very unfavourably by colleagues.

We have one girl that has constantly abused the family friendly policy. Sometimes she APPEARS to come and go as she pleases, but she's very unpopular because of it (we've all got kids and could abuse it as well but we definately don't).

I'm also surprised that Mo3 qualified for the paid leave without returning to work. I thought to qualify you had to do 12 months prior to each paid leave.

Perhaps I'm out of touch... I didn't realise paid maternity leave had been going for the last 5 - 6 years (longer if there was the compulsory 12 month leave in between) :confused:.

Perhaps I'm out of touch... I didn't realise paid maternity leave had been going for the last 5 - 6 years (longer if there was the compulsory 12 month leave in between) :confused:.

paid maternity leave used to be fairly standard, I think but gradually got rolled back. when I started at the job where I took maternity leave (1995 or so), they offered paid leave. but then they stopped it for new employees. I think there were anumber of businesses in the same boat

paid maternity leave used to be fairly standard, I think but gradually got rolled back. when I started at the job where I took maternity leave (1995 or so), they offered paid leave. but then they stopped it for new employees. I think there were anumber of businesses in the same boat

It was paid in SA as well many years ago, but in very few places, like the universities, our once federally funded repatriation hospital (they also paid their nurses more), and a few private organizations.

It definately wasn't across the board or common amongst public servants.

Nor was/is 2 years unpaid leave (like i said I've never heard of anyone taking 2 years).

Love to know what department this is.

Back