An interview with monalisa and MsAli

Great reading! Thanks for sharing, it's very inspiring seeing what you two have done. Have you considered diversifying into different areas?

Love the mantra "take action now"!

Thank you to all three! This type of success stories should appear on TV :)
I bet you would be inspirational to many people!

BTW I enjoy (& learn from) every one of your threads.

You girls are doing a very good job. Steady, steady building a foundation now will benefit you in the future ten-fold!

You are obviously very smart individuals, so paired up the world (well Australia really) is your oyster!

pinkboy;)

Thanks Y-man for posting this interview :)

Something I'd like to add is - we have an incredibly supportive and encouraging mum who comes to every single open home with us. Although she hasn't done investing here, her opinion counts a lot and we like it this way!

Brilliant interview. Thanks Y-man. Kudos to the twins!!

Thank you Rob! I've read your story and it is incredibly inspiring!

Great reading! Thanks for sharing, it's very inspiring seeing what you two have done. Have you considered diversifying into different areas?

Love the mantra "take action now"!

Thanks Tess....do you remember you posted in the Young Ones thread and we have looked up to you :)!

Not yet sure about diversifying. We are considering to keep buying in Sydney while we can...though it's a good question. Something perhaps one understands once they have walked the talk. Time will tell...what about yourself? We are in a similar boat and would be keen to understand if people should diversify right from the beginning of investing vs. buying a number of purchases within a vicinity of each other as long as the numbers work.

Yup...all action is in the NOW now. That doesn't have to mean a purchase in the now. Education can be in the now...whatever steps that take you closer to your goals...As the saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day"

Thank you to all three! This type of success stories should appear on TV :)
I bet you would be inspirational to many people!

BTW I enjoy (& learn from) every one of your threads.

Thanks heaps devank. That's a huge compliment!

You girls are doing a very good job. Steady, steady building a foundation now will benefit you in the future ten-fold!

You are obviously very smart individuals, so paired up the world (well Australia really) is your oyster!

Thanks pinkboy! monalisa said to me this...the world is our oyster. We have a lot of investors on SS to look up to and we are grateful for the inspiration and learning we have received here!

Great story - is there a soft copy of the article? Its a great source of inspiration for newbie investors!

Thanks Shahin. Thanks for the reality check...a long way to go so doesn't feel like we are too much further ahead on the road. Anyone can do this. Sure you need a decent/good income. It's possible.

I love these stories. Makes me think that I can do it too. Which country/culture did you come from in 2000?

Of course you can :) We were born in Pakistan. Our grandparents were born in India...so basically South Asian background.

Love the story ; especially women power:p

GO GIRLS GO

Thanks virgo! Agreed...we love women power too!!! And it's so good to see there are women property investors on SS and out in the world. It does get difficult dealing with tradies but I believe once you have a reliable team to call upon it is not that challenging.

Great interview thanks. Go the girls!!!

Thanks travelbug! We think we saw you today at the burnt house auction in 2770 this morning!

Last edited:
Good one. I'd like to hear a little more about "shifting the [mental] road blocks" and how you managed to do that.

Wobbycarly....Thanks! Thought I'd respond to this one separately. Basically, what my understanding of the mind through the self development work I've done is...In most cases, we learn our beliefs during childhood (I believe 5 years old?). If we believe we are crap and that we stuff up all the time, guess what - our subconscious is programmed to act accordingly and hence attract experiences that feed that belief. However on the contrary, if we program our subconscious brain positively those are the experience we are going to attract. I'm not saying this is easy and some people have A LOT of issues to work through to change their mind/beliefs/patterns.

It's hard to notice these patterns. However I've realised that the lessons that we don't learn and give us pain will keep coming back to us till we notice and learn from them and this (from my experience) shifts the perception so much that these negative experiences never come back again. It's like we are magnets and the energy we carry WILL keep coming back to us - positive or negative. Something that has helped me is journalling. I've not been so consistent lately, but over the past few years I committed myself to journalling at least 3 A4 pages of "stream of consciousness" journalling every night i.e. dumping whatever comes to mind on paper...and it takes around 20 minutes. Then you don't have to read it and definitely not let anybody else read it as you must not judge what you wrote. This exercise has helped me see patterns in life. It's incredible what we hold in the depth of mind and when it's just flowing on paper a lot of things that you jot down tend to bring to attention and sometimes "wow's"/"woah's" of what you do and why you do it.

Further I believe in our society we are taught that "big girls don't cry" or "men shouldn't cry" / or get angry - basically NOT feel. It's ironical, because feelings connect us to our souls. While growing up some of us get out of touch with our own truth of who we are and what we are capable of doing. We avoid anger because we think it's "bad" or we don't cry because we think we are going to come across as weak. While the reality is if something makes you feel upset, it is definitely a pattern from many many years ago that is being brought to your attention to "resolve". You can do two things

a) forget it and supress it as we get told in this world (but be prepared since it's part of our subconscious and our energy it will come back to us)
b) go back to figuring out why is the experience bothering us, allowing us our true feelings about the original experience when we felt this way at the earliest point in our life.

The latter gives you a lot more responsibility and choice as to where you act from in your life. The former only keeps you stuck as the victim.

Another thing that has helped me is to write down my beliefs on paper and then challenging them. And if they no longer serve me then I say I'm ready to let go of this belief for good. Negative beliefs about self are lies about ourselves that we may have learnt from someone or somewhere, but as adults we can choose to let go of them and adopt a belief in it's place that serves us for our higher good. ANOTHER thing that I've done and has helped is write 100 statements about something...i.e. "I feel/believe XYZ when...." So you have an exhaustive list. Once you REALLY get it, it WILL shift for you.

An author that has inspired us is Louise Hay. She is a metaphysical author and she has been a big inspiration for us. You can also watch her movie "You Can Heal Your Life - The movie" on You Tube or better on DVD.

Last edited:
Thank you all :) very blessed to have had the enlightenment that life is not meant to be a struggle, and that one can work toward their financial freedom, regardless of their background, or experiences - it definitely is a 'choice' one makes.

For me, affirmations have greatly helped in shifting the fear based mindset. I do find it is a challenging thing to do, as MsAli has noted already, beliefs are something we carry on from childhood, and choosing better feeling thoughts help change the beliefs. Additionally, we have had the shifts of viewing life as abundant, and that all needs are looked after, it is a natural flow. E.g. the initial $2K loss - whilst at the time (being new to property and not knowing much), seemed massive, but the decision helped us attain what was better suited to us. As Newton's law notes for "every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction". I believe, if things aren't the way you wish them to be, then there is something else better suited. We continue to work on the "allowing" mindset - allowing for good things to happen, and they really do.

Teachers who have facilitated in shifts include Dr Wayne Dyer, Louise Hay and some other Hayhouse authors, as well as Robert Kiyosaki, and Tony Robbins.

Onwards and upwards! :)

Hi,
Good read, you've done well in your jobs, education investing and lives.

My only question is, have you though about asset protection in terms of if either of your were in a serious relationship which went sour?

This is something me and my sister struggle with continually.

Love the Story!

Keep on doing what yous are doing!

Chak de phattey!

thanks! :)

Hi,

My only question is, have you though about asset protection in terms of if either of your were in a serious relationship which went sour?

This is something me and my sister struggle with continually.

Thank you!

Asset protection has been on our minds - I do intend to research more on it. Not too sure how it will all work - I guess it will become clear only with time.

@MsAli - Thanks for the detailed response. I know I have some of these limiting beliefs, and I'm also fairly sure I know where they came from, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting rid of them. I'll look up Louise Hay.
Cheers!

Hi,

Thank you Shaneelastic...

Thinking about asset protection. Believe it's paramount :)!

Love the Story!

Keep on doing what yous are doing!

Chak de phattey!

Cheers coastal.

Chak de phattey!! I've heard the term but I don't know what it means :p

great interview. really enjoyed reading your story/ies. Thanks.

Cheers Matto!

Thanks travelbug! We think we saw you today at the burnt house auction in 2770 this morning!

Yep that was me. What did you think of it? Were you considering bidding?

Hubby was keen. I thought it was a lot of work but once we got inside it wasn't too bad. At least no structural work. It went over price for me. Even the buyers agent went to $171K which surprised me. With her commission and reno costs I don't see it being worthwhile. Maybe at the selling price of $184K if you were intending on living in it then I guess it's a cheap way to get into a house.

Maybe I want too much for my time?:D

Thanks for the response to Wobblycarly. Very insightful. Mindset has definitely been the thing that halted my investment journey until the last few years. Now I'm making up for lost time.;)

Back