Women Leaders in Politics - (I'm not Sexist)

However, will Christine Milne then be used as another example of female politicians being less effective than men?

It can be Penny, (used that way), but it is what it is, and most people can use the hindsight...(or foresight, eg now) to get a better understanding of the 'whole situation/circumstances). Except for where females are /? written out of history, but even that is changing. There will always be a small minority with attitudes/opinions about females that grab any opportunity to gender bash, or use to build their own shakey self esteem foundations.

Christine however is already talking of inclusive politics, getting dialogue going with regional areas..

NEW Greens leader Christine Milne will seek to establish a new political support base among rural Australians and "progressive" businesses as part of an intensified campaign against the "vested interests" of the resource-based economy.

Senator Milne has also attacked the major political parties as captives of the resources sector, and savaged the "rapaciousness" of mining companies, vowing to dedicate her leadership to hastening a transition to a low-carbon economy

It will be interesting times, despite all the other fuzz around us, how she goes about this, I see her as a leader first, I mean look at the stuff Bob Brown had to deal with, he 'came out' in the 70's, his personality that can be polarising, the Greens image it can have with some people, (only need to see some reactions here), whether we agree with them or not, people can break the ice for us others.

Christine will no doubt inspire some younger females, just as Julia, Julie Bishop, just as Maggie, just as Ellen Sirleaf, just as Joyce Banda, just as Aung Sun Suu Kyi, Hillary Clintons of the world, Angela Merkels...

The point is you understand the situations these female leaders can become a leader-I understand the machinations, other people do to, I think the key is that for better or worse it is happening and ocurring, this is a good thing. We cannot control the circumstances they come into power, but we can understand the circumstances of how..

..and!

Happy birthday Kathryn D!!!!:)

A leader in her own right. Great stuff, may not agree with you on all and sundry, (wouldn't that be damn boring), but Kathryn is inspiring. (And Bob, but it's Kath's birthday).

Have a great day.

Thank you OO.
We have left Tennant Creek and have started for Melbourne.On my birthday we stopped into Walkabout Creek (Crocodile Dundee fame :) )
That will impress all my Canadian friends and family.

Thank you OO.
We have left Tennant Creek and have started for Melbourne.On my birthday we stopped into Walkabout Creek (Crocodile Dundee fame :) )
That will impress all my Canadian friends and family.

I was wondering what part of the globe you were treading. Great stuff.:)

With Christine Milne at the helm, we now see an unprecedented female leadership, if Julie Bishop was to strike, and successfully achieve a coup....well!

-Queen Elizabeth 2-(Inspector Guardian temperament, and just clocked up 60 years.)

-Governor-General, Quentin Bryce, (I suspect a Guardian temperament, but not examined as yet).

-Julia Gillard, PM, Fieldmarshal Rational.

-Julie Bishop, Deputy Leader, I suspect Rational, will have a closer look.

-Christine Milne, also seems a Rational temperament, and from sound of it, Fieldmarshal, (mobilising) will take a closer look.

Little old Australia!

..and, on a more personal level, talking of leadership, re/ investing, Jan Somers was very much an inspiration for me. Her books were and are incredibly useful, both Steve and Jan were a force in my learning about Aussie property investing.

If girls can see it, they can be it.

Thanks Jan Somers, for your leadership, molto grazie.

Last edited:
I have also been following the story of Fawzia Koofi, incredibly inspiring woman:

2qdtkp0.jpg

The winter of 2000 was cold in the Wakhan Corridor, one of the remotest regions in northern Afghanistan, as the Taliban were closing in on what remained of a flimsy resistance. Fawzia Koofi, 25 at the time, was traveling with a team of medical surveyors. She had left behind her dying husband and her 16-month-old daughter at the provincial capital, Faizabad. Her second child, in her lap, was only three months old and extremely weak. As Koofi made her way across the mountain tracks to the secluded districts bordering China, fear nagged her about the well-being of her child in the harsh weather. Had her ambitions taken her too far?

She ended up spending six nervous weeks meeting with the locals, worried about her daughter and her dying husband. But it was during this trip, deep in the mountains of her home province, that she felt the desire to be part of her father’s long-lost political legacy. “It was here that, with … my baby at my breast, I realized I wanted to be a politician,” she writes in her just-published memoir Letters to My Daughters.

Today, a two-term member of the Afghan parliament, Koofi, 35, is one of the most prominent political figures in the country. Her journey is extraordinary in the context of Afghanistan’s turbulent recent history.

Rest of feature is here:

Fawzia Koofi Making a new Afghanistan for her daughters...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interview here..

She talks about a bit of everything, being a leader, her country, her legacy for her daughters, for her brothers and sisters, fellow country people, her religion, just an amazing person...

Politics was a place for a woman to enter to raise her voice, at least she has a chance to raise her voice...

Bit more, such an incredible story behind her:

Nine years after the overthrow of the Taliban, women rights largely remains rhetoric in the country. President Hamid Karzai delivers impassioned speeches promoting gender equality and increased female participation, but Afghans are quick to point out the contradiction in his words and deeds. The first lady of the country, Dr. Zeenat Karzai, in rarely seen in public. The woman who promised to be perfect for the job as a role model—well educated, with a history of activism—has curiously remained silent and out of the public sphere, her face unrecognizable to ordinary Afghans. Disappointed, they have had to look elsewhere for inspiration and leadership–to someone like Fawzia Koofi, one of the brave women who champion their cause in a difficult time.

Representing the distant Badakhshan province, this single mother of two young girls is a tenacious voice in the national discourse. Whether debating electoral fraud on television or revealing abuses in the prison system in Parliament, her passion and unbending civility stands out as a rare combination in the country’s infant democracy. She won the second highest number of votes from her province in the recent parliamentary elections, only 250 behind the leading candidate (a former commander), and a resounding 7,000 votes ahead of her closest male competitor. In a country where women largely make it to the Parliament because of a gender quota, the election results speak to Ms. Koofi’s popularity. At the local level she has championed the building of a highway from Kabul to Faizabad. At the national level, through her agenda and personal example, she has worked tirelessly to achieve substantial women participation in national politics.

In her memoir, written with journalist Nadene Ghouri, Koofi chronicles her life from the time she was put out in the sun to die after her birth to her current place as one of the most respected people in Afghan politics. The narrative, simple but poetic at times, shows readers the long struggle against brutalities and injustice that she—and most Afghan women of her generation—have endured.

...and from her, own words:

I came to public office for different reasons. Like my father and grandfather before me (both of whom were also MPs) I came to office so that I could serve my people and help to build a better nation.

I am not the only MP in the Afghan parliament trying to uphold this noble tradition. There are many like me. But right now their voices struggle to be heard under the voices of the wealthy and powerful who use might and violence to achieve their aims. I want to be the one to lead these good and honest parliamentarians and officials into a new future where justice, honesty and faith prevail.

My dream for my nation is to see it stand strong, proud and peaceful. It’s a simple dream, but one which I know can become reality. It will take dedication, hard work and many years, but it is possible.

The story of Afghanistan does not have to be one of war, terrorism and death. There is another story. And this story begins with a woman who dares to believe she can become the first female president of Afghanistan.

If this story takes root, the pages of history might also begin to read differently.

Great

Last edited:
We are a scourge on humanity, obviously. To balance the ledger, however, as I sat in the audience listing to Ayaan I did find myself noting that she's quite hot.

:D

she would have been interesting to see actually, i missed her when she came to perth a few years ago.

Do you have any similar advice do you suggest giving to our boys?

Completely forgot about this! Here you go:

'I'm not going to tell you not to drink, because I know you're going to and I'm not going to tell you not to chase women, because I know you're going to. Just don't do both at the same time.'

I think we need to teach our daughters that if they are on show, then men will look at them...
In my experience, most teenage girls are completely unaware of the impact of their behaviour on guys.
PMSL What world do you live in?
They purposely dress and act sexy/slutty, post sexy/slutty pics on facebook for guys to look act.
They do it to boost their ego and get validation from the opposite sex and get "likes". Just as they do when they go to the clubs.
That's just the way it is. They do it in "general" and it does have consequences to society in general. Women just cry foul and make all these justifications to make themselves feel better.
I also have family/realitves friends etc it's no different, they are observations based on history.

Yep. Sexual assault is about power moreso than sex.
Nonsense. Femminst BS.

You’ve made no case.
Nope, history has made the case.

Women brought the bedroom into the workplace? Now I’m convinced you work in a strip club.
Good idea, maybe one day I will buy one.

Only one out of 200 plus I have worked with dressed anything like what you describe.
None of them wear makeup?
None of them have tatoos or piercings?
None of them wear enhancing boobwear?
Truth is they use their sexuality as hard as they can. If they have it.
Of course they then hide behind "you can't attack me cause I am a woman" while they masculinise themselves if and as much as they can.

This is about sexuality and the fact that women use use to garner the attention, and favor and cooperation of men in the workplace including politics.

as I sat in the audience listing to Ayaan I did find myself noting that she's quite hot.
LOL You should have ask her to dinner.

Back