An interview with Jingo

Haven't read this one yet but loving these interviews, as a newbie they have helped me out tremendously. I find them a better resource than most of the books out there because it is about people who have actualy done it, not just people who think they know how to do it.

Thanks for making these a regular addition Y-Man!

Rob (AlmostBob) owned a house in Laverton,Vic , which is 5 kms from Altona Meadows.He sold it in 2002, before emigrating to canada with me.

We had discussed options of renting it out, but thought the distance would be difficult to handle. Had he kept it, it would have been worth substantially more. If we hadn't sold, we wouldn't have been able to springboard our property investments in canada, as quickly.

Great to hear your journey jingo.
Continued success.:)

A great read!

Great read Jingo,

I always like to read other stories. Thank you for sharing.
It goes to show how buying time will enable capital growth.
I read somewhere that it's not really difficult to become property millionaire as long as you buy the right property and wait.
Now imagine if you don't do anything more and your portfolio doubles in the next 10 years and doubles again in 20 years. I think you would be able to live off your equity when you retire!
Congratulations and keep it up!
On a personal note, I soon plan to invest with loans via SMSF so I will let you know how that goes. This goal is the top priority this year!

Regards,
MIW

Thank you Jingo for your story. Sounds like you came to this stage mainly through your 'savings' habit and a bit of timing.

As usual I have few questions :)

If purchasing a flat, I aim to buy top floor with a balcony and a car space on title.
Given a choice I would like to live in a top floor... but what are your reasons for top floor(as a an investment)?

Identify what tenants in a particular location desire, and ensure that the property bought has these features.
How do you identify what tenants desire? It is very easy to think that our own desire is what 'normal'.

One is in a company, which, in hindsight, was a mistake on my part - although it has saved us in land tax
Saved in Land tax?

Save a deposit to put down on an affordable property. Stash cash into an offset account and wait until the property is neutrally geared. Then buy again when your cash flow allows.
I like this advice. Is that ‘neutrally geared’ including –ve gearing?

Establish a buffer in the form of cash and/or a Line of Credit. Aim to build a buffer to cover your living and investment expenses for at least a year.
Would you use a portion of that buffer for a deposit?

Hi Jingo and Y-man,

Thanks for the interview. Always an inspiration to me reading the journey of others who have walked the path before me.

Regards,

Daniel Lee

Nice job guys.

Enjoyed the read. Thanks for sharing your journey with everyone here Jason and, thanks to The Y-Man for organising the interview.

Will read it tonight also

Thanks for keeping this alive Y-MAN

PS: Its hard to remember who's who in the zoo, can we put their moniker/avatar on the interview i.e.

Attachments

• JINGO.JPG
    JINGO.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 100
Super great story, inspirational

wow having a strategy really helps and I am sure all those purchases in North Melb has helped

What I really liked is buying land outright when you started.

Well done

Regards,
TV

Thanks for the feed back Rob, jackbak, Edge7, wobbycarly, Kathryn, MIW, Lizzie, devank, warrabista, daniellee, orangestreet, Player, redwing and tvadera.

I learn so much from reading the interviews and look forward to reading more of them in the future.

I know that devank had a couple of questions - I'll answer them here. Please ask for clarification if need be.

Thank you Jingo for your story. Sounds like you came to this stage mainly through your 'savings' habit and a bit of timing.

Yes, that would be an accurate summary of our journey to date. Certainly nothing clever - just buy and hold and a few lucky buys at the right time. Savings have played an important part over the past couple of yrs as I am keen to get the portfolio to neutral asap!!

Given a choice I would like to live in a top floor... but what are your reasons for top floor(as a an investment)?

Good question. I'd have to say that I have read a lot of the material written by the 'Wakelins' who are well known buyers agents in Melbourne. While I don't agree with everything they write, I do acknowledge that they know the inner suburbs of Melbourne well and have developed a good understanding as to what appreciates in Melbourne. This was something they look for in flats.

Not to mention the added security, less noise (ie no one above you). The ones we own are positioned so that there is only one flat next door meaning less noise and greater privacy. One of ours has a nice view from the balcony over the trees into the garden below.

Having said all that - I wouldn't get too hung up on it! But I would say that having a carspot on title helps as they tend to rent more quickly. As an example, one of ours has just come up for rent and was re-rented on first inspection. Others in the block have been sitting empty for a long time - they don't have a carspace and a couple are on the ground floor. (Read into that what you will)....

How do you identify what tenants desire? It is very easy to think that our own desire is what 'normal'.

By this I mean buy what tenants desire according to the area you buy in. ie inner city - I'd buy places/houses with two bedrooms (eg they would be suitable for North Melbourne). But in Frankston, I'd buy a house with at least 3 bedrooms and 4 bedrooms are great because they are more scarce! (Meaning they tend to rent faster). Tenants in the inner areas value car spaces - tenants in outer areas garages/carports for their cars.

Saved in Land tax?

All our IP's are in Melbourne and all but one are in our own names - meaning we are well above the land tax threshold! The one in the company is in a separate entity and there is no land tax payable on this ip. There are of course other costs though which probably outweigh this benefit!! (Namely the annual asic auditing fee and accountant's fee for the tax return).

I like this advice. Is that ‘neutrally geared’ including –ve gearing?

Really depends on individual circumstances. Some people may not mind being neutrally geared after tax - others may prefer to be properly neutrally geared and not rely on tax benefits to support the portfolio. It would also depend on the stage of life that the investor is up to as well. (ie accumulation, stable job and -ve gearing would be fine - closer to winding down the job - prefer no -ve gearing at all!)

Would you use a portion of that buffer for a deposit?

It is possible to do so, but again it would depend on individual situations/risk profile etc. If my buffer only covered a year's worth of living and IP expenses, then I wouldn't be comfortable using it for a deposit on another IP - but that is just me.

Regards Jason.

Last edited:
Really depends on individual circumstances. Some people may not mind being neutrally geared after tax - others may prefer to be properly neutrally geared and not rely on tax benefits to support the portfolio. It would also depend on the stage of life that the investor is up to as well. (ie accumulation, stable job and -ve gearing would be fine - closer to winding down the job - prefer no -ve gearing at all!)
Regards Jason.

I used to think that way too until I came upon a book "How to Achieve Wealth for Life...through Property Investing" by Tony Melvin & Ed Chan. They illustrate that depending on your porfolio size there's no point of reducing your debt (well unless you are really highly geared). Chapter 6 'Myth 5: Debt is Bad' and Chapter 7 'Myth 6: Pay off Your Home Loan as Soon as You Can' and Chapter 9 'Wealth for Life' are great examples of that point. I highly recommend it and would like to see what you think?
I actually thought of reducing our LVR approaching retirement (well hubby in 8 years mine about 14 years) but then being about 28% LVR in total, fairly big, porfolio I realised we should still invest more based on that strategy. These examples are very powerful so if you get a chance to read it please let me know if it would change your perception?
Is anyone else adopting this approach in this forum?
Basically the strategy is that if you buy well and your IPs continue to double every 10 years if you have enough in equity you could finance, live off, and grow your portfolio. I found it mind boggling!

I agree totally MIW.
It's my all time fave investment books and makes total sense to me. It is also the fastest way out of the rat race for me.

Points to consider:
If you're positively geared then whats the problem? If you always have more equity than you spend and it grows faster than you are spending it, whats the problem?

Or, you could continue to live frugally and save more for later. Horses for courses.

I expect to see the CF investors argue this :D, and to them I say in advance , Horses for courses. Like Ed, Kiyosaki, Yardney and many other investors, I too never plan on paying off all of my investment debt and think it's unwise to do so

Basically the strategy is that if you buy well and your IPs continue to double every 10 years if you have enough in equity you could finance, live off, and grow your portfolio. I found it mind boggling!

Money makes more money. By deleveraging you are missing out on any capital gains in the future. The trend I see is for people with substantial residential portfolios is to use their low gearing to re-gear into a commercial property investment. I am going down this path myself hopefully.

Thanks guys that's why my most important goal for this year is try to have a prtfolio worth $10 MM. I and not far off with small LVR's I understand now we could live off it even now.
I was actually told by a property strategists that I do not need to do anything further but it doesn't mean I should choose to.
Since I have still few years to retirement I should continue building.
Rixter is so right and so many others on this forum that the 7-10 year (this could mean any time within a property cycle increase even 5 years or 15 years) strategy could see you get out of the rat race.
Is it simple? Well yes. Is it easy? Perhaps not. Is it possible? I believe 100% it is!
Keep up the inspirational stories and your experiences!:)

Back