Where to buy building materials/Sourcing Suppliers

Hi all,

Similar to the thread on finding a tradie, thought it would be helpful to have a thread to have a list to share for sourcing suppliers of building materials.

They can be places to buy new, old or even second hand building supplies/materials or home electronics.

Tradies, feel free to add in some of your suppliers to the list as well.

It would be also helpful to indicate why they are good: quality? Choice? Cheap?

and also which state they are in.

I'll get everyone started. Please add to the list.

1. Heritage Building Centre:
Rear 432b West Botany St, Rockdale NSW 2216

- Massive warehouse with old and second hand chairs, skitrings, doors, door handles, fireplaces at a very good price. Great place if you were wanting to match something in your victorian, federation, art deco home.

2. 2nd World (have many stores e.g. Auburn NSW, Carringbah NSW)

- Great to get discounted whitegoods. Some with only carton damage get your 30-60% off the RRP.

3. Tempe Tiles (14 Holbeach Ave, Tempe NSW 2044)

- Great prices on discontinued lines of tiles. Got a discontinued $48 per square meter porcelain tile for a personal reno for $18 a square meter (got extra just in case).

Add Auctioneers, removal houses or clearance houses

Feel free also include Auctioneers or removal houses or clearance houses to the list too.

Thanks!

Another one which I found good was:

The Bathroom Outlet

The Bathroom Outlet Store where you find discontinued lines, factory seconds, ex-display stock and some cancelled orders, all in popular brands. The savings will be substantial and all products come with warranties.

Address : 497 Canterbury Rd,Campsie
Phone : 02 9787 1294

I tend to be on the look out for reno goods all the time so Ebay tends to be my first port of call. This gives me an idea as to what the prices are then will spend substantial amounts of time on the phone checking alternate sources.

For bathroom stuff - shower screens, tiolets etc

We found Osmans Hoem Improvements to be the cheapest and also relatively close to where we do our reno's.

They have an Ebay store but make sure you look through all their like products as we have found that they have a number of alternate products that vary in price substantially.

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Osmans-Hom...=p4634.c0.m322

They are located on Parramatta Rd in Auburn.

For tiles we use the Tile Factory outlet. TFO

http://www.tfo.com.au/

We have bought at least 15 units worth of tiles from these guys, must be approaching 1000+ sqm. Last time I was there they do seem to have increased their prices.

We us Ace Gutters for some of our plumbing supplies - we get a trade discount there (possibly only deal with trade). Last purchase 400lt water heater at about $200 discount.

69 Boundary Rd Mortdale

www.acegutters.com.au

Get most of our tapware from Bunnings. Their bottom of the range stuff is very cheap and we simply replace when broken. Particularly mixer taps.

We buy second hand wardrobes via Ebay, mainly for the mirror doors. We then use Trademaster to supply additional board and bits and pieces to refurbish the wardrobes.

http://trademasterjoinery.com.au/

They have lots of other things that they sell but are hard to deal with on the phone so generally I don't include them in my phone around.

For glazier supplies we have used Dr Glass out at Prestons.

We simply take window shower screen to be replaced down to them and they replace on the spot. They are similar to Trademaster and deal with Shower screen and Wardrobe supplies.

We use Payless Kitchens to provide our kitchen cabinetry. I buy multiple kitchens at one time so get very good price.

http://www.paylesskitchens.com.au/index.html

I have recommended these guys to a friend but instead of keeping control he simply got them out to measure up etc and they came out very expensive. So it's the way you approach them that gives you a good price.

With most of these suppliers (if not all) we use them to supply only. We take the risk that things don't fit.

Cheers

Kitchen/Bathrrom Place to try

Thanks Handy Andy.

Another place to give a try is for kitchen handles:

Builders Bargain Centre
Builders Bargain Centre is a family owned and managed business since 1984. Cabinet hardware/handles, sinks, taps, SmartPack kits for kitchens and laundries.

They kitchens are not the most expensive or the cheapest but quality looks quite good. They do SmartPack kitchen and custom made ones. The customer service was quite friendly and not overbearing too.

Can see their website for more details.

Address : 12 Bridge Road, Stanmore Sydney NSW
Phone : 02 9516 3222
E- mail : [email protected]

Looking through some other threads and collated some threads that might be helpful. To see those threads in more detail, click on the link:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26630&highlight=electrical+supplies

OK, I'm from Sydney so these may not be national but might help your thinking nonetheless:

Electrical: We used Lawrence and Hanson. They're a wholesaler but you can walk in as an owner builder and buy at wholesale prices.

Timber: Don't go to Bunnings. Find your local timber supplier. We used Warringah Timbers and they're about half the price of bunnings for lumber.

Plumbing: Again find a dedicated plumbing supplier. I think we just used Hardware and General because most of my plumbing supplies were sourced by my plumber so I didn't need much. I also used hardware and general for my door furniture as I went during a sale and got a good price for the lot.

Fitout: Try a local auction house. We used Laws for the most part. My wife sourced our bathroom vanity which is a really gucci one with integrated rectangular raised basin for $400 from auction. These retail for about $1500. She also sourced the toilet, skirting boards, architraves, tiles, all the paint and all of our blackbutt tongue and groove flooring from auction. The blackbutt cost us $7K and we laid it ourselves. To get someone like SE Timber to do it was quoted at $25K odd so we saved a packet. Similar story with the paint which we sourced at half price then painted the entire house inside and out ourselves and saved $10-20K odd. There must be an auction mob somewhere in Perth.

Kitchen Goods: We used Winning Appliances. They're a discount whitegood type supplier. We got our 900mm stainless steel oven with integrated cooktop plus stainless steel rangehood for about $2,500. I can't remember the brand but it wasn't Smeg or one of the top of the range ones but it was still excellent quality with cast iron trivets and a central cast iron grill plate etc. I think its a DeLonghi from memory...

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,
Michael.
Last edited by MichaelW; 04-07-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72351&highlight=electrical

jeffb5ltr is on a distinguished road
Turks electrical in Silverwater sell Clipsal, the is also a electrical place in Asquith that does it as wel

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72351&highlight=electrical
alokahuja a
alokahuja is on a distinguished road
The reason i am looking at getting the equipment myself is because i want to reduce total costs paid to electrician. I have received 2 quotes one at 4100 and the other at 1975 for the same job.

Also, i seem to notice that every electrical wholesaler gave me a different price.
http://electriciansupplies.com.au is almost 50% of the cost of some products and more costly for others.

Seems like a racket this wholesale business.

Regards

Also try these for those not Sydney based

www.buybuildingsupplies.com.au

great online chat to expert available as well.

Also ebay store RenoD the $350 taps at Reece are $150 at Renovation Brothers and $45 from this site.

If in Sydney and looking for great period doors, windows, fittings then The Attic House in Harris St Ultimo.

Hope this helps
Jane

Which institution is easier to do a Real estate sales rep course, REIWA or TAFE

Anyone who can advise on which institution is an easier option for Real estate sales rep course. Reiwa or Tafe.

Tile Importers in Natalia Cres, Oakleig South VIC.
OMG, they sell everything at that place. Can't vouch if all prices on everything it cheap, but we needed 2 new toilets and they were cheaper by $100 on each toilet than the next cheapest price, and that was just their standard price.
They have a few warehouses next to each other in the street, one of the warehouses has been converted into different showrooms for different parts of the house....bathroom, kitchen, outdoors, security, flooring, doors.
They isle upon isle of 'stuff' in the main warehouse. My dad was in 7th heaven wandering up and down whilst I waited to pay for the new loos.
They also have a massive timber yard. Driving past we saw roof trusses, all kinds of decking and fence pailings. And, as their name suggests, they also sell tiles of all kinds.
I swear you could buy everything needed to build a house from that place.

Back