Going to Auction this weekend...

I attended an auction a few weeks ago on my street. Turned up with a grumpy toddler in the pram and I'm sure I looked like I needed a few hours sleep. There was a fair crowd and so I hung back with the neighbors. Even though I had a bidders card everyone seemed surprised when I made a few bids. At that point I got the annoying agent whispering me 'advice' on how to bid at auction and that while my bids were interesting numbers they wouldn't win me the auction. I politely let him know I didn't need his help.

I tend to watch the first few bidders have a go and if things get quiet I throw in a bid about 5-7k higher. I tend to give odd numbers rather than giving the auctioneer 5k increases. I always have a limit in mind and may go a few K over but that's it.

Good luck!

I too prefer to sit back. My husband gets cranky with me.:rolleyes:
I don't want everyone looking at me and agents urging me to make a bid. When bidding slows (or stops) I'll put in a bid (if it's still in my limit).

If there are 2 people bidding (or more), why do you need to wager in? All you do is add fuel to the fire. The ones bidding are rethinking their limit wondering if they should bid more seeing as there is so much interest. You don't want them thinking this. Surprise is the best option.;)

I too prefer to sit back. My husband gets cranky with me.:rolleyes:
I don't want everyone looking at me and agents urging me to make a bid. When bidding slows (or stops) I'll put in a bid (if it's still in my limit).

If there are 2 people bidding (or more), why do you need to wager in? All you do is add fuel to the fire. The ones bidding are rethinking their limit wondering if they should bid more seeing as there is so much interest. You don't want them thinking this. Surprise is the best option.;)

That particular strategy doesn't work in all market conditions. When it's hot you are better off getting it to a pice near the reserve and blowing everyone out of the water. Only the serious players will be at the end and you stop the auction gathering steam. Auctioneers love the small $1000 increases.

If the market is **** house then no bids.

Went to an auction this morning, never even got to bid.

The numbers I crunched came in at $317,000. An up front valuation we got was for $300,000. The property sold for $405,000.

I didn't expect to win, but neither did I think the market was that hot in the area. There was a crowd of hundreds, and more than 45 registered bidders.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-wilberforce-116649159

Wilberforce (far western Sydney). 1 Acre Flood effected land (house built under old zoning), vandalised house (but good underlying structure). Every window broken, all the wiring and pipes pulled out. No town water, no sewage.

Plus the entire property was covered in piles of bricks, old cars and trucks, two huge shipping containers, loads of dumped rubbish etc.

I am a sucker for punishment, but not at that price! Prob worth around $550,000 restored. $500 a week rent would be reasonable.

Interesting auction anyway. There was a baby goat running around which bit a child. Who brings a young kid to climb through a vandalised house full of broken glass and who know what else??

216dF24.jpg

main.jpg

Y2ZeI62.jpg

mCirI8k.jpg

yx4XRYf.jpg

I presume the goat came free! :D

My partner said we could pay extra as long as we got the goat, especially after seeing it perform guard goat duties on a child.

(note this pic of the goat was taken through a hole in the wall!)

QqFBdhU.jpg

C1LCuc7.jpg

6OJ0niw.jpg

5Bv7YUJ.jpg

Looks like my youngest son's bedroom :eek:.

When you say the goat bid a young kid, was that a human he bit or another goat :D?

Human child :D I think it was just a nibble.

I was so suprised at how many people thought it was a good idea to bring young children (and even dogs) to look at the property. Even outside the house was littered with broken glass, rusty barbed wire etc.

Not much is the way of strategy I saw at the auction though. It was a fast auction, barely any playing around by the auctioneer. In the end it was down to two people and after a few quick bids one was out and it was done.

Getting out of the street that was parked up for hundreds of meters was more exciting!

I got carried away over the weekend after I have won, :)
Here it is in details:

Background
After months of researching, bidding, losses at auction etc...,
Last Saturday, I had my eye on 2 auctions site (first one @12:30, another @ 2:00)
I knew that if the price is right, one of them is mine

Saturday:
Got up real early, after 2 x double shot espressos, I was really pumped and buzzing
Got to the destination at 11:00am. yes, that is right, 1:30 hours prior to the first auction.
There was another auction (a unit) on the same street as the first site, so made my way over there, it was finally sold at 20-30k over my expected sell price.

12:00am; made my way to the first auction site.
There were probably 50 - 60 people, they all had their serious face on.
Some came with Porsches, others came in with v-vest or flip flops
By this point, I had a feeling that my budget may not take me all the way with this purchase

12:30am; finally auction started, and so did the rain.
No one opened up with any bids. So the auctioneer open with vendors bid.. And this continued for the next 3 bids
Then a home buyer finally came in with a very low bid, I think mid 300's or something or rather.
Auctioneer were then calling 2nd and final calls based on this really low offer..
All other 50 or 60 people (myself included) just stood in the rain, staring at the auctioneer with no one raising their voice or hands..

By this point, I was thinking in my head, this is a joke right, no way this is going to be passed at this price, So I thought, if everyone is Shy, I ain't going to just stand in the rain any longer.
So, I raised my voice and said "FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS"
(Yes, I did use your advice, bid with confidence and loud)

Now, this got everyone attention

But, the funny thing was, again, no other bids came in after mine.
Auctioneer even went inside and spoke to the seller.
But only moments later came back to say, the bid is with me, so clearly, it did not hit the reserve price

Then the serious bidder came along to the party, 1 other bidder, clearly they were builders.
The price just kept on climbing between them and I, while the other 50-60 bidders witnessed a game of tennis between the 2 of us in the rain.
No matter how I bid, they were going by a thousand over me.
And after my 6th or 7th bid, I just knew, they wouldn't give up, and if keeps on going, the only benefit is going to go to the seller. So I decided to let this go to the other buyer.
In the end, he really was another developer in the local area. So I walked away. He got a good deal!

While walking to my car, a young bloke approached me and said, hey, I have a house on this street for sale, you wanna come and have a look, So I did.
He was trying to get a serious buyer and bypassing an agent, smart idea
But, unfortunately, the land size was too small, and yet hes asking price is unrealistic, (if you are on this forum, I would say this mate, you ain?t gonna get your asking price.)

2:00pm (second auction)
The rain finally stopped, 2nd property is also been auctioned by the same agents, as soon as I arrived, they knew that I meant business. A small crowd had gathered, funny thing was, most of them were from the first auction, (those non-bidders), I had a feeling that I was going to win this easily and I did.

There were hardly any bids. I came in towards the end, still at a relatively low bid. But as soon as I had open a bid, there were no any other bids afterwards.. And I had won, as simple as that
The sell did not get passed through at my highest bid tho, apparently it did not hit the reserve price.
So I went in and negotiated a slightly better price with the seller, and made the final sale.
To answer your question, yes I brought under my budget, and I believe it is an reasonable offer.

Great work on the successful auction :D

And thanks for sharing, walking away from the first would of been alot easier knowing you had another auction to attend. Would of been a great test of nerves if you had of been pushed at the second auction.

Keep us posted on the plans and progress of this purchase as I believe you were purchasing a development site.

Well done lonewolf- sometimes all it takes is one bid so congrats :D

Handmer, your goat pic made me LOL seriously that goat looks like pure evil and obviously very put out that humans were invading his castle :D;)
Great crowd for a KDR!

Back