What do you put up with that your tenants wouldn't

I often think I need a landlord - and although I live in a house instead of the unit - I sometimes think my tenants live in better conditions than myself.

The reason for this thought today? We're on tank water - the line from the tank/pump shed is around 100m long, runs overground and is black.

Result? In summer, during the day, the water out of my cold tap is hotter than that out of the hot tap.

No big drama - keep a jug of cold in the fridge - use the cold tap to wash the wine glasses - don't put wool in the washing machine during the day - is a bugger if needing a shower after a morning of weed spraying

Such a first world problem :D - what's your most obvious inconvenience?

What do I put up with that my tenants wouldn't?........tenants. der! (dad joke).

Instantaneous HWS that runs cold as the flow rate on the eco-friendly shower is too low.

Wobbly handrails.

Harbour views.

Unfinished and missing skirtings/picture rails.

Last edited:
For a couple of years until we bit the bullet and replaced it, our instant HWS would fail in really miserable weather. The only way to get it going was for hubby to use a hairdryer and dry the area around the pilot light, standing under a brolly. Luckily we have a safety switch, though it never cut out. I shudder to think of it now. I don't know how dangerous it may have been, and prefer not to know.

It was (by law) outside, and had a little roof, but when the rain came from a certain direction it just would not stay alight. Many times, it was too wet to do anything other than boil the kettle and have a wash that way. It never happened enough to force us to replace it... until we really just said "enough".

If that was a rental, we would have had to replace it immediately. I would never have asked a tenant to do what we did in order to have a hot shower.

And we lived with concrete floors, stained and horrible for eight months whilst our insurer ignored our claim for new carpets. Finally, they declined the claim (after having forgotten about it). I figured there were plenty of folk needing claims settled more than we did, but a tenant would not have accepted living like this for as long as we did.

So many things we've put up with in our own house that we would never allow in an IP...

I lived in a house with no kitchen for 5 years. Had a gas cooktop and microwave and a table, there was sink though. Actually sold the house without the kitchen and did very well. The house now has a lovely kitchen in it.

I lived in a house with no kitchen for 5 years. Had a gas cooktop and microwave and a table, there was sink though. Actually sold the house without the kitchen and did very well. The house now has a lovely kitchen in it.

When we built our PPOR we had no laundry and no kitchen whatsoever for just over 2 months. Had to survive with a borrowed 70's electric skillet, microwave and BBQ.

My bathroom light has been broken for 18 months because I don?t want to pay an electrician to install a new light fitting. If I ever need to shave outside of daylight hours I bring a desk lamp into the bathroom.

My bathroom light has been broken for 18 months because I don?t want to pay an electrician to install a new light fitting. If I ever need to shave outside of daylight hours I bring a desk lamp into the bathroom.

Same - our bathroom lights and fan haven't worked in years.

Our dishwasher packed up about 5 years ago and hasnt been replaced. Dishwasher in an IP packed up and the tenants had a new one within a few days.

Haha - yes - forgot about that.

We too have had a bedside lamp in one of our bathrooms for around 6 months as the starter on the fluro light has packed it in and, not being the mainly used bathroom, replacement is very low on the list.

Back