Other areas in Brisbane

Much of the forum focus for good properties in Brisbane seems to be on the central areas and in the 5 k's surrounding .

I was wondering if people could share the Brisbane Centric view on places closer to the bay , eg Manly , Wynnum , Redcliffe Peninsular , Brighton / Sandgate , Shorncliffe .

I know for example that Redcliffe used to be called Deadcliffe , but I was told this by someone I later found out was buying in the area at the time ...

Cliff

I bought in Wynnum nearly four years ago and like most places in that time have seen limited growth in the market. Manly enjoys higher growth based on the median price being higher and the market being more exclusive, ie. Manly is roughly a third to a quarter in land area compared to Wynnum and Wynnum West so it's quite small and exclusive. If you're savvy you could buy a double block and split it, there's plenty of value out here for that.

We were unaffected by the floods as was most of the area. I picked to buy towards the Manly end of Wynnum and would advise the same. Wynnum West is cheaper and has the socio-economic demographic to match. It is quite peaceful out where I am and would be perfect for a family or elderly couple. I found myself suddenly single last year, hence my decision to leave the area. I will be renting out my property for between $470-$500 p/week and it is a 1960's style four bedroom/1 study/1.5 bathroom place. There's plenty of schools, shops and four train stations.

The talking point around here is the new super clinic that the federal govt has committed to, however, I think it'll be a couple of years off at least. They have also put a cap on the level of high rise apartment blocks to be built and are constantly talking about giving Wynnum Central a facelift, but like a typical sleepy bayside village, things take a while to metamorphosis...and don't even think about wearing a hoodie into a business when you're cold. You'll be asked to take it off!

Have a look in the taigum and zillmere area it's a hidden gem. But not for long there are developments on every corner but you can still snap up some great bargains and it is fairly high yeild. I bought my town house 2 years ago for 248k now it would be about 300k. And in the boom town houses in my complex were going for 350k. Very convenient area worth a look.

See change

I know manly and wynnum well and think both have great prospects. However two weeks ago I got up to the north for the first time and here are some quick obs
Shorncliffe - nice views, bit pricy
Sandgate - would be my pick of the bunch, good village atmosphere, lagoon is cool, in my opinion it was better than Shorncliffe - just not as elevated and much cheaper
Brighton - had to skip it as was running out of time and the house I wanted to look at went under contract

Now to over the bridge...!

Clontarf is the entrance to the peninsula - not too many in facilities but advantage of closest Brisbane commute and pen lifestyle
Woody point - very strange place, yuppy ville on the point with the restaurants and bars but all the houses are little shacks
Margate looked really nice along the bay, went in to the fish and chip shop there and it was pretty upper class which was amusing considering everyone there had no teeth
Redcliffe- didn't get to see too much as ran out of time but lots of drinking on the beach and park which is fine with me (it's something I would do!) but probably a fair indication of the demographic. You wouldn't see this in wynnum

Summary of the peninsula - beaches are up north but I can see the early money going Into clontarf and woody point

Sandgate is a class above though and reasonably priced

My RE agent said last night that Redcliffe is taking off. My townhouse at Scarborough has increased in value but he didn't have time to elaborate.

Would have to agree that Redcliff is taking off, it's very affordable and by the bay with public transport upgrade/trainline going through soon. In saying that it can only run so much IMO, becuase the roads on the northside are a nightmare.
Wynnum/Manly will be the Maroubra of Brisbane, consistant growth once people decide the bay, esplanade and bay breezes are an ideal way to spend your days. Wynnum east of Tingal road will become very fashionable once people decide why pay a premium for the Manly postcode. Similar to Bondi and Coogee people heading to Maroubra.
The Wynnum area has great public transport options and easy access by car to the city because you are heading across the traffic. Once the demographic changes happen prepare for solid gains.

I have just been offered a commercial premise in Margate to consider for purchase.

Some details are:
- four tenants are medical / pathology corporate groups, two buildings/land, 3 year old buildings, five year leases with options. 8% rental yield, tenants pay outgoings.

I said to the agent that I have never heard of Margate at which point he told me that it was part of Redcliffe which again I said I had never heard of. Then he told me that it was 30km north of brisbane and hence this post.

From reading wiki and other posts on this forum, it sounds like a skanky place but seems like there is some infrastructural developement going on. Also nice coastal environment.

Is this a good place to buy the local medical centre located on the main street of Margate? Is there strong population growth and demand? Will there be cap growth?

I grew up in Redcliffe and my parents still live there.

Was traditionally more of 'retirement' type demographic, but that has somewhat changed.

Values have flattened for a while now.

Great spot to grow up though, although a little rough around the edges at times.

When the new rail line comes into Kippa-Ring, I would expect a jump in prices especially within about 600m. Easier commute into Brisbane.

I've a townhouse development in deception bay that has had strong enquiry. We havent started the sales campaign as yet so time will tell what the sales rate comes in at.

I actually prefer mango hill and griffin. I have purchased a number of house land packages through this area myself and have started seeing growth as land supply is being taken up.

Last edited:

Was traditionally more of 'retirement' type demographic, but that has somewhat changed.

Great spot to grow up though, although a little rough around the edges at times.

When the new rail line comes into Kippa-Ring, I would expect a jump in prices especially within about 600m. Easier commute into Brisbane.

Does Redciffe have a big community feel where everyone knows everyone? Years ago I went to the pool with a friend who grew up there and every few steps people stopped to say hello.

The train line is good news, however it wont be great for getting into Brisbane. It goes all the way west to petrie before turning south so it will still be an hour or so in. Much better to drive across the bridge and get on at sand gate/shorncliffe.

Brisbane Inner city market

Personally I believe that if you buy anything in the 5-10km area out of Brisbane you should do well. I am looking at a development site located just 5km out of Brisbane. To me Brisbane is undervalued compared to other Eastern coast cities, so I feel there will be great opportunities to invest there.

Does Redciffe have a big community feel where everyone knows everyone? Years ago I went to the pool with a friend who grew up there and every few steps people stopped to say hello.

Pretty well. A lot of people don't leave after school - they stay in the general area. I went to school there a long time ago, and we actually have a reunion every year!

The train line is good news, however it wont be great for getting into Brisbane. It goes all the way west to petrie before turning south so it will still be an hour or so in. Much better to drive across the bridge and get on at sand gate/shorncliffe.

Probably not much difference. I used to do exactly that when studying at QUT - used to take over an hour to get into the CBD with the drive and train ride.

Will be about the same time, but not having to change over.

Back