Are there any Millionaires who can help me to invest $450,000 in real estate?

Hi guys,

I'm not a millionaire, but I'd like to be. I'm looking for advice on how to invest $450,000 primarily in real estate. I know its enough to set me up for good. I'd like to know what the experienced professionals would do if they were in my shoes right now?

Any advice would be great!

Cheers guys,
Tom

Hi guys,

I'm not a millionaire, but I'd like to be. I'm looking for advice on how to invest $450,000 primarily in real estate. I know its enough to set me up for good. I'd like to know what the experienced professionals would do if they were in my shoes right now?

Cheers guys,
Tom

You'll get some great advice from the people on this board but you also need to do your own research. This months Money magazine has an article on how to earn $2500 a week by building a property portfolio.

It also has a section on property growth areas which you may find interesting.

Good luck.

I don't think 450k invested in real estate will set you up for good. Assuming that you have a 5% gross return yearly, it does not allow you freedom from work. Just a bit of extra pocket money on the side.

Tom,

This is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It maybe of interest to you as it suits what you are wanting to achieve..

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis.

We've basically been purchasing an IP per year and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

We've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I prefer to purchase Townhouses & Villas with courtyards of 30% or greater land area thereby eliminating multi story units / high rise apartments with balcony's, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Baby boomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cash flow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cash flow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systematically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. In fact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well that’s the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once set up & structured correctly it’s a self perpetuating source of tax free income indexed for life!

For further information please follow the links to these "We've Done it" and "We've Done it Again" threads I started some time back.

If you require any clarifications just ask.

Last edited:
I don't think 450k invested in real estate will set you up for good. Assuming that you have a 5% gross return yearly, it does not allow you freedom from work. Just a bit of extra pocket money on the side.

That's a pretty bad assumption and a shocking return.

Hi guys,

Cheers guys,
Tom

take your shoes off, and put mine back on.....

Seriously, we dont know your goals, current financial position etc. it may be that $450k is enough to almost repay your PPOR debt, or maybe you dont have a PPOR yet. Perhaps your risk profile means your better suited to capital cities, apartments, houses etc etc.

If I personally had $450 now, Id pop it into my offset account and start looking for cashflow positive properties. If I had $450k when I first started out, Id probably have blown it on a bad PPOR, or lent it to a family member to start up a business, or started up my own business.....

What Id suggest doing now to someone without a portfolio? buy some houses/apartments in the middle rings/regional towns for about $300k each. Get as many as I could at 90% LVR, and keep the leftover cash as a prudent reserve.

Tom,

This is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It maybe of interest to you as it suits what you are wanting to achieve..

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis.

We've basically been purchasing an IP per year and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

We've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property.

Interesting post, Rixter. I'd never considered buying new/near new townhouses before but I can now see the sense.

I basically follow your philosophy but have concentrated on house and land but only in Qld. I'm thinking of diversifying to other states.

Interesting post, Rixter. I'd never considered buying new/near new townhouses before but I can now see the sense.

I basically follow your philosophy but have concentrated on house and land but only in Qld. I'm thinking of diversifying to other states.

Hi Nth Brisbanite
Yes, I like this too.

I believe diversification is a very good strategy.

Chasing cycles is a good way of making easy money, helps mitigate your risk. BTW Perth property market is currently rising, however you will be competing with many but its worth jumping in to capture growth.

I have seen 20% growth in the last 6 months from my property purchases in Perth.

I am also told Syd West market is moving.

MTR

Tom,

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cash flow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systematically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. In fact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well that’s the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once set up & structured correctly it’s a self perpetuating source of tax free income indexed for life!

For further information please follow the links to these "We've Done it" and "We've Done it Again" threads I started some time back.

fantastic post Rixter! well done

to add to that and modify, this is what I do,
I do believe in its not when you buy but how long you are however, I will never buy at the top of the cycle, which often is hard to predict, I didnt buy during the peaks of the GFC for other reasons, so I was a bit lucky. I will only buy properties at the bottom or near the bottom to what my dd determines, eg (I wont buy in perth now, Ill buy in qld, NSW some areas yes,. some no, VIC id wait a bit longer). id rather buy in 3-5 years time at the same price as todays price instead of buying at the top, and losing opportunity cost during those years

I have a different approach to you slightly, when you redraw on your equity in year 10, you still have to pay interest on it, unless you sell it, ie its like a 6% credit card

so Im more the work harder now, enjoy your fruits of your labour later type of person,

I will use any equity growth in the first 5 years to leverage further into more properties, (ie no new cars, holidays and flash toys from the equity)
and depending on my situation in year 10, I may sell teh properties and use the cash to fund my lifestyle,

so in my opinion its a bit of a catch 22, you sell, then you have capitalised cash in your hand that you can spend on anything, but then you lose the CG from that point on,
on the other hand, if you keep the property, you can use the equity to spend on anything but your repayments go up, just like a credit card, but at the same time you will enjoy any CG in the future

finally, in the present economic condiitions, I dont see any huge booms occuring in at least the next 8-12 years, in fact it wouldnt surpirse if we booms like the pre GFC are a thing of the past,
Mining in aus has pumped up wages to ridiculous levels, however, the rest of the country is still as per normal, the property boom has already benefited from these wages,
I dont know if this two tiered economy will be a part of future australian economy or whehter it will fade away
I think we will have the normal 10 year CG cycles on average from now on, that is unless something drastic happens overseas or Neg gearing changes or FHOG

Tom,

Rixter,

This is a fantastic post! Thank you really. I'll be looking back to this thread time and time again I'm sure. I look forward to exploring these links. I'm sure I will have some other questions once I process all of this great stuff and do a bit more research.

Cheers,
Tom

What are you after exactly? It's a bit vague!

Hi Aaron,

I know what my goal is but I don't know how to get there from where I am now, so that is what I am asking. I'm basically after exactly what Rixter and a few others posted - a guide or a plan that has worked for them to give them the liberating returns they enjoy today - this is the "how" or "how's" that I am trying to become aware of. What others would do in my shoes is also extremely interesting to me.

Cheers,
Tom.

Rixter,

This is a fantastic post! Thank you really. I'll be looking back to this thread time and time again I'm sure. I look forward to exploring these links. I'm sure I will have some other questions once I process all of this great stuff and do a bit more research.

Cheers,
Tom

Max gearing 450k will not set you financially free for life.

Not straight away, but it could if you invest it smartly and catch a couple of up years in a cycle (rent and/or value).

You could even do this with a simple buy and hold strategy (with some minor renovations if you feel like it). For example, if you were to use the 450k to invest in neutrally geared properties in GWS for example, you could purchase 12 properties around 200k each at LVR of 90%. A $10 increase in the rent would give you an extra $6k a year, so if over a few years rent increases by $50 you would have an extra $30k in passive income.

You would also have exposure to $2.4 million in property. Say if the value of each place increases to $250k, you would have increased your net worth by $600k, if it increases to $300k, 1.2 million extra net worth. Additionally, you could also be extracting equity from these places as well to purchase more properties along the way, or doing simple renos to increase the value to speed the process a long. I'm sure some people will say that properties won't go up, the golden days are over. However, I'm confident that if you pick the right areas with the right drivers we will see some solid gains over the next few years.

It's not going to happen overnight, but 450k equity to start off with can definitely set you up on your way to financial freedom.

take your shoes off, and put mine back on.....

Seriously, we dont know your goals, current financial position etc. it may be that $450k is enough to almost repay your PPOR debt, or maybe you dont have a PPOR yet. Perhaps your risk profile means your better suited to capital cities, apartments, houses etc etc.

If I personally had $450 now, Id pop it into my offset account and start looking for cashflow positive properties. If I had $450k when I first started out, Id probably have blown it on a bad PPOR, or lent it to a family member to start up a business, or started up my own business.....

What Id suggest doing now to someone without a portfolio? buy some houses/apartments in the middle rings/regional towns for about $300k each. Get as many as I could at 90% LVR, and keep the leftover cash as a prudent reserve.
Hey tobe,

I have no PPOR or significant debts. I'm on a clean slate with minimal liabilities trying to tread carefully but move swiftly. Thanks for the advice :)
Tom

Do you have a job Tom? Stable income? Any experience or skills in business or trades?

We can all give advice based on our situation and experience but it's a bit hard when we don't know anything about your situation and capabilities. :)

Back