Building with Metricon...Good or Bad?

I have decided to go with Metricon land and package.
Do they deliver what they promise?
Are there customer service good?
Do they complete the houses on time
Any thought?
Also any thoughts about glenvill?

I am a chippy I have seen a few metricon homes and had friends build with them. I think their homes are great as for customer service I am told it is totally dependant on the project manager you get. Good luck with it all.

I have decided to go with Metricon land and package.

Whats the build setting you back? Single or double? Heard the display finish is up to $150k above the standard contract price. Render can add another $50-$80k to the finish. Hasn't anyone told the building industry that theres a recession in Australia?

Single Storey
What do you mean render can add another $50-$80k to the finish.
Also metricon reckons if the they are rocks on the land we would have to pay more.I heard there are rocks in caroline spring :(

Whats the build setting you back? Single or double? Heard the display finish is up to $150k above the standard contract price. Render can add another $50-$80k to the finish. Hasn't anyone told the building industry that theres a recession in Australia?

I was looking at them as well today and it seems their houses are 20-50K more expensive then others to build. I wonder if its to compensate for the 25 years warranty?

Their houses do look nice though

Metricon builds do look good but the hubby thinks it's the furniture everyone falls in love with and not the design...The design we saw had the main bedroom right near the front door.....I don't think I could put up with that (If I was living there that is)

Ems

Metricon built us a house in 2007.

Do they deliver what they promise?

Yes, in flying colours.

Are there customer service good?

Yes. Professional staff with matching attitude.

Do they complete the houses on time

Yes.

Please note, it always takes two to tango. Metricon has a rigid contract & specification process at the start but it proves to be a beaut in the end, where all parties to the contract know exactly where they stand and deliver.

I regard their service highly and will build with Metricon again.

Heard the display finish is up to $150k above the standard contract price

We will get what we ask for and there is a price for everything. :)

Metricon has a reasonable range of "standard" choices for buyers to choose from. It is possible to have a good quality finish by sticking to the standard options, thereby, minimising costs.

Look out for the freebies & specials they offer sometimes.

Render can add another $50-$80k to the finish.

Please contact Metricon for a quote. Hearsay can be right or wrong, which won't help us.

Our experience is a bit different to others here

Paid Metricon $1000 in March 06 to commence work. House will be finished before xmas that year

Another $2000 the next month, still looking at xmas

Balance of 5% deposit in May (around another $11k), funds cleared now we are looking at April 07 all of a sudden. Person I've been dealing with says it's not his problem as I'm now dealing with someone else. That someone else says there's nothing that can be done xmas should never have been promised

We give notice at our rental as per confirmation that house would be finished but of course it was a major stress to have it done in time. We accept we are moving in with a heap of stuff not done, and no occupancy permit

Last day of March 07 and we take handover. Now the problems start

Solar hot water breaks first day. To their credit was fixed same day

First night we decide to have a spa together been looking forward to this for over a year. Spa jet from behind me flies out. Hits the wife in the head (at least I saw the funny side - she wasnt hurt) water is now flying out of the bit in the spa the jet came out of and floods ensuite

Dog destroys termite protection after spa incident. We have a young boxer he destroys everything. If we had of been told termite protection didnt mean having the house sprayed and instead was the plastic thing that sits above ground and goes around the house I would have had someone spray the house outside of Metricon. Accept it's my fault for not asking the right questions. Wife is pretty upset at this stage and worried for dogs health and makes me call that poison info line in the middle of the night. By this stage romance is out the window

A month or so later the french doors leading out of our bedroom into a courtyard stop closing. Accept that that's part of the house moving or whatever. Then they fall off. Dont accept that that's part of the house moving

Master bedroom door handle/latch breaks and wont open. We are in the bedroom at the time so I break through the door like in the movies. Metricon refused to fix this

Front door refuses to close (this has happened a few times since). End up putting dining chairs

None of the bedrooms hooked up to the heating unit

Solar hot water breaks continously throughout winter. They dont like frost. Happened at least 3 times that winter, and has just happened again for a different reason though

Aircon breaks. On inspection birds have also caused damage to the inside (but were'nt the cause of it breaking). Great it's under warranty but guess what? Your 12 month old $8800 aircon didnt come with bird protection so it has to be retrofitted at your expense

Oven recently broke

Ensuite shower has been re-tiled twice

Sorry for the long post that's all I can think of at this stage. Metricon (and any sane person who hasnt put up with this crap) argue that it's all third party products that are the problem. And of course everything bar bedroom door and the bird related aircon problem has been fixed to Metricon's credit. I cant compare their after sales customer service as this is the first (and most likely last) house we've built but eventually things do get fixed. But after spending close to $300k on construction (at 2006 prices) you kind of expect better

As for the house itself, it's our palace. When we have the "what would we do if we won $30m from lotto" talks, selling it isnt really on the cards

thats the problem, these builders use cheap crap, and off course it breaks.. they say its 3rd party problems, but they choose those products, and continue to use them. if they have quality issues, they should not use them.. does your work place continue to use doggie suppliers?

Thanks guys...much appreciated.
What about Glenvill.
Talking to them also..
Any experiences?
There products looks for better...

thats the problem, these builders use cheap crap, and off course it breaks.. they say its 3rd party problems, but they choose those products, and continue to use them. if they have quality issues, they should not use them.. does your work place continue to use doggie suppliers?

I work for another major builder. I would google Glenvil first, they have had some high profile problems. I suggest either buying a fully completed home from a smaller builder (a spec home) that you have another builder inspect thoroughly first, or use one of the majors. All building contracts have clauses in them about guaranteeing work, however its only the larger builders that are worried enough about ACA knocking on their door and ruining business that they will actually build the house and or fix things in a timely manner after handover, rather than tell you to go jump, get a solicitor etc etc.
The majors in victoria include, metricon, henley, simonds, burbank, porter davis.
Yes,there are rocks in caroline springs, and most builders will make an exception to their fixed price contract to make you responsible for thier removal (or your wallet responsible). Its a chance you have to take unless you can find a builder who includes it in their fixed price, in which case you are usually paying a premium for the risk to be transferred to the builder...

Paid Metricon $1000 in March 06 to commence work...
That someone else says there's nothing that can be done xmas should never have been promised
... Last day of March 07 and we take handover

Metricon has the building turn over time of twelve months, from first deposit date to key handover.

The first six months are spent for contract specifications, soil test, application for permits and the like.The actual building work does not start until the second six months.

Your house built from Mar 06 to Mar 07 is actually within Metricon twelve month schedule :)

Metricon has the building turn over time of twelve months, from first deposit date to key handover.

The first six months are spent for contract specifications, soil test, application for permits and the like.The actual building work does not start until the second six months.

Your house built from Mar 06 to Mar 07 is actually within Metricon twelve month schedule :)

My issue with it was that they were telling me 9 months until I had handed over too much money to walk away from. Their promises of xmas was one of the reasons we went with them

Not disputing that theres a 12 month schedule but at no time was it pointed out to us that is was a 12 month process until I couldnt walk away.

To the OP re Glenvill, arent they a bit more expensive? Check out Carlisle too they have sensational displays. A little more expensive than Metricon (I think) but more standard inclusions, so evens out if your going to add options

Friends!

If you are building with a spec home builder such as Metricon homes. I highly recommend you use a building consultant / handover person.

We used a guy here that covers from the Gold Coast to Brisbane and he was worth his weight in Gold.

At each phase we reviewed everything with him and forced the builder to fix things. It was well worth it because you can prevent most problems after handover by paying attention during the build.

In QLD even the HIA contract states , "Its your responsibility to manage quality."

Chris

Back