The cost of using a draftsman service

We're looking at extending our house to include extra 2 bedrooms & 1 bathroom.
I was wondering how much does it cost to use a draftman's service these days? And how much funds roughly would we need to put aside for that sort of project?
Do they typically do all the drafting work and manage the project from start to finish?

Perhaps someone can recommend a good reliable draftsman who doesn't charge arms and legs in the Brisbane area? :p

Wow $2k??
I just got a local architect quoting me $9000 for using her service which includes designing and project managing.
She mentions scope of services including design, documentation for Building Approval lodgement, negotiation with potential builders, building contract administration, and regular site visit during construction.

Does using an architect usually more expensive than a draftsman?

I can't image a drafter doing anything but drafting (i.e. computer drawing). Otherwise they're technically not drafters.

Wow $2k??
I just got a local architect quoting me $9000 for using her service which includes designing and project managing.
She mentions scope of services including design, documentation for Building Approval lodgement, negotiation with potential builders, building contract administration, and regular site visit during construction.

Does using an architect usually more expensive than a draftsman?

Double Wow!! on that one. We have already spent $11000 on architects not to mention the surveyor, quantity surveyor and the heritage consultant ( damm living in a conservation area and being listed as well!!)

A year and half later (including 5 months in council ) this has gotten us to approval stage.... but still with S82 review + S96 ammendment to go. Sydney City council are C#@nts!

Detailed documentation has begun.... 6.5% of final construction cost..... tendering supervision and project management additional are fees and percentages to be discussed.

Your girl sounds like a bargain!!!

I had a drafty do a job for me recently. Had to redraw my downstairs extention which was unapproved. It was a 2 bed 1 bath flat. Also had to design and draft a set of internal stairs from top to bottom. This was in the form of an extention tacked onto the end of the house so required footing, post and frame design and engineering. This all cost a bit over 1k. I did all the DA submission.

i am a draftsman, however draftsman is the old term. i am 24 years old and am a qualified building designer, which is commonly referred to as a draftsman. a dratsman can be anything; a person who 'drafts' drawing either by hand or by computer aiding drafting programs. a draftsman can work for many places such as a furniture production company, drafting the dimensions of chairs etc.

a building designer, or architectural draftsman, which is what i am registered as, is basically a person with drafting skills and registered with the building commission to have the knowledge to get permits and construction knowledge to do working drawings.

basically, the difference between an architect and a building designer or architectural draftsman, is an architect is unlimited in what they can design, and a building designer is limited to structures 4 storeys high and under

an architect will generally do the administration of the project, which is to follow the project from start to finish, whilst a building designer or architectural draftsman will do the design concept, obtain planning and building permits, and then the client will be left to find a builder and deal with the project

building designers or architecural draftsman can do the administration, obviously for a fee

architects generally charge around 10% of construction, whilst building designers or architectural draftsmen will charge 3% or construction. this will generally include sketch design drawings, planning permit if required, building permit, working drawings and engineers drawings.

an architect will argue that they have the better design skill, but it obviosuly depends on the individual

i, as a building designer / architecural draftsman, have worked for an architect for just over 3 years now, and youll be suprised at how much of the design work is done by myself, but put to the client as one of the architects having done so, so they can command the higher price

also, once i have worked for an architect for 4 years, i can can do a 6 month thesis, and become an architect.

hope this helps

Thanks for sharing that with us JD86, I thought architect and a draftsman were the same.

So I guess the quote $9000 from the local architect I got is pretty much the average market fee for using an experienced archited. :cool:

no worries

no they are not the same, they can perform the same roles, but generally architects are used on high end stuff, and charge significantly more

Some draftsperson's quote by the square metre for plans, others cost is set amount + hourly rate for variations to original design.

Cheers
Sheryn

I've been in residential building for over 20 years, and i'd never recommend an architect to draw any new residential building. They are overpriced and out of touch.

Last year one of my clients presented me with an architect drawing that was titled 'solar dwelling' in Watermans Bay. It was designed for the client who had a $500,000 budget.

Not only did the home not rate 5 stars, but it was priced by 4 builders with all of them coming in over $900,000 to construct. Oh, and the client paid $25,000 for those drawings and had to pay a further $25,000 once entering a building contract for the architect to project manage the job.

I suggested we redesign for $2500, which rated at 6 stars and came in $509,000. I then suggested a few licensed building inspectors who could do regular site reports for the client during construction as independent operators for a total of $7,000. They happily saved $15,500 in fees and got a far better home on budget.

Renovations is different, but a new build from scratch is much better designed by a new home designer.

Im going to weigh in on this discussions and dispel a few urban myths.
First off, I am an architect.

Architects generally charge on a percentage of the cost of construction, and this will vary according to the cost of the job and the prestige of the designer. (the higher the build cost=the lower the percentage)

Architects are defined as different to building designers/ drafting services by their license to manage a building contract on behalf of the owner.
Also, in the architecture coarse there are 5 years of rigorous deign studios, all set up to develop the individuals design sensibility. So in theory, you should get a more competent design from an architect. (thats the theory!!)
Before I studied architecture, I completed the first year of a building designer diploma. I transfered into architecture because they were not teaching any design.

Knowing what the square meter cost for a style of development is all building practitioners responsibility, as is designing to the brief. It is highly recommended to get costing reviews done at each stage (after sketch design/before town planning, post the next development stage and an update pre- tendering.

Basically, in most cases you get what you pay for. If you want to use a stable reliable person to do your design and plans, you need to factor in the time involved and, that this person is providing a professional service. Building designer or architect....there are good and bad in both fields.

Back