How to get a FIFO mining job - Pilbara

Hi All
my nephew is an electrician trying to hook one of those highly paid jobs up North, but he can not get his foot in the door. they all require experience.

Can anyone give me some suggestions? thanks

Cheers, MTR

Hi MTR
Tell him to apply for the jobs anyway. There is so many jobs now advertised he will strike one that will give him a go. By the way Boddington is looking for a lot of workers, they are being competative too
cheers

MTR
I have several friends who are all up north on the mines, and yes, they are now earning good money and working 1/2 the year (2weeks on 2weeks off).
But they have been doing it for a few years now, and when they first started they certainly were not earning "big dollars" (from memory one of them started on about $35k/pa).

In responce to 'how' just keep trying, keep applying and get as many tickets as possible in the meantime.

Cheers

Sometimes it is hard to get a company to pay the extra FIFO without mining experience, as many cannot hack the conditions of mining camps.

It may pay your nephew to travel to the Pilbara. As a tradesman "on the spot" he should have little difficulty in getting work. Once he has proved himself he will have a better chance of negotiating FIFO conditions.

And as Blacky said, it may be that your nephew has to start a bit lower and work his way up.
Marg

Thanks, will tell him to keep trying.

Do you think that it is also the case of "who you know", perhaps some get in the back door, good luck to them if they do. What do you think?

Cheers, MTR

G'day MTR

Tell your nephew to register on these websites

Tasmanpower.com
Vdmg.com.au
Decmil.com.au
Dtworkforce.com.au
Workpac.com.au
Skilled.com.au
Caperangeelectrical.com.au

Also check and apply for every electrician job on

Seek.com
Jseeker.com

If he is keen and persistent he will get a job

Cheers

Chippo

thanks Chippo I will pass on.

I was also told that Downer EI are employing electricians at moment for Pt Hedland

Cheers, MTR

my company does a lot of work for mining companies. Lots of new people just do not survive that long in a camp environment, and it is expensive to recruit, induct and traing only to lose a new worker two weeks later. I agree with Marg4000. He should make the move to one of the minig areas and will trhen have a great chance at getting work.

The life can be very rewarding but also difficult and lonely. I work in PNG, Central Aust and Laos and it certainly has its moments. Aust is pretty good. Santos is excellent to work for (in oil and gas) and with mining, Newmont, MMG and Newcrest are good.

Hope that helps.

MTR
I dont think it is a case of who you know. Most of the larger companies up there (FIFO operators) have fairly strict and fair employment opportunities (though maybe I am just naive).

As Marg said maybe send him up there to live and work for a few years first, its not a bad place to live!
I am not sure if you nephew fits the category but I used to see a lot of people who heard about the $$ and FIFO work and that there was a lot on offer. They would arrive in WA and 'expect' $150k/yr 2&2 rotation and were dissapointed when the company would offer $50k full time + accomodation!

I guess I am just saying that without any mining experiance he shouldnt expect to start on $100+k/pa equal time. That only comes after a few years experience up there.

He should ideally try to get work with the major contractors - Transfield or Conneq etc and get some shutdown work under his belt. At my site (largest mine site in the southern hemisphere) we employ only a few shift electricians and maintenance electricians - most work is done by contractors. And yes, experience is very important although on the last big shut it was obviously difficult for Transfield to get good tradies as the ones we had come on site were pretty average and didn't really give a ****.

That said, there are quite a few vacancies for shift and maintenance leckies both on FIFO and residential rosters. Smaller contractors in town are Cape Range, CFC and some others.

Also, the bigger companies are not often the best to work for either - especially when it comes to salaries. FMG pay much better than BHP in nearly all areas. Don't know about RIO and I would guess that O&G pays better than mining.

I staterd working in the Pilbara over a year ago and I had no FIFO experience. You just need to apply for every single job that comes up on seek.com and jseeker.com and take whatever you can get. Once your up there you will understand more about how mining industry works. Then you can meet and network with workers and contractors on site and find out about other contracting companys, new projects and where the better jobs are. As a tradesman you should be on $100k+ depending on rooster.

Cheers

Chippo

What kind of electrician is he and where is he currently located?

If looking at mining I would think a few basic introductory courses tailored to the mines would be a good option i.e. MARCSTA, 4WD etc

I work in HR for one of the big mining companies up North and can honestly say there's no secret way to land one of these positions, just keep applying and register with all the recruitment agencies. I've seen some of these jobs get up to 400 applicants for the one role so just keep trying.

I also I wouldn't bother with doing all the extra 'mine' courses, employers have their own courses and inductions they will put you on if you get the job...however electricians need a WA electrical license to work on most WA mine sites (companies like bhp etc won't let you on with a license from another state)

GOOD LUCK!:)

Thanks all.
He has scored a job now which is paying similar money to jobs up north buy will be located in Perth.

Appreciate all the help. Cheers, MTR

Are you talking general wages up that way such as shire workers, local bakery worker, gardener, labourer etc

no they are woeful. Mind you a good for nothing labourer in Karratha pulls about $55/hr. I am talking of a typical FIFO worker earning say $100-120k. IMO that sort of money will not cut it next year

no they are woeful. Mind you a good for nothing labourer in Karratha pulls about $55/hr. I am talking of a typical FIFO worker earning say $100-120k. IMO that sort of money will not cut it next year

In my experience it's definately a lot higher than that. But I do agree wages will need to go higher in the new year to attract more tradies, engineers etc. the shortage is already been felt.

Back