Building house on uneven land

Hello all,
I came across this piece of land and another one http://www.realestate.com.au/property-residential+land-vic-ferntree+gully-2731454

which seems to be affordable given its size and location. But I was wondering what problems will those dugouts,trees and uneven patches cause, if someone has to start building immediately on this.

Also, how much does it cost to get rid of those trees. Do you need to pay costs to council also for removing greenry.

Ta

Last edited:
If you want to develop something with that degree of fall I'd very seriously be asking a builder to give cost estimates of retaining walls, drainage etc for the building/s you are planning to place on it.
It looks extreemely steep and you would likely be placing two storey dwellings onto it as a single storey would need multiple split levels to work.

Double storey are always more expensive to construct - also you would likely be building on stumps - not concrete slab due again to the fall and this could cost more with the negative effect of a slightly longer build time.

Views are good though.

Our house

To build on sloping blocks of land cost 50 - 100K more than on flat blocks and take a lot longer to build, then on top of that you have additional landscaping retaining walls costs etc.

Flatblocks are easier and cheaper to build on even if you pay 50K more for a flat block.

Re: Trees
You do have to apply to council for permission to remove trees on your block but you have to pay and engage sub contractor to remove trees. Council may not allow removal of trees on your block!

Costs for tree removal may start at $550 and go to 3-4K per tree, this is on top of building costs.

Besides lopping tree branches down, mulching, you may need an excavator to knock stump out of ground, then a 5 ton truck to cart stump to the tip then tip fees on top, so cutting down trees you can easily have up to 6 tradies and 6 different lots of machinery on site to remove tree.

Cheers
Sheryn

it will cost significantly more to build on a sloping site than a flat site. it does depend on the design of your house to figure out how much more. thats just with excavation, footings and floor sturcture, not to mention retaining walls and extra landscaping required.
unless you get the land for a very good price compared to flat ones in the area, i would steer clear as the links you shared look very steep

We've started building in Berwick in October on a block with 2m fall.

Rule of thumb we got was $10k for every 1m of fall.

Also, if you are planning to build with a project builder (porter davis, metricon, etc) get them to go have a look at a few blocks for you and give you rough estimates.

We asked the Porter Davis sales consultant to have a look at a few blocks for us. He steered us away from nice big blocks that had a good fall. That block still hasn't sold.

Make them work for you.

All the best.

There is no such thing as cheap land, just blocks that cost more in site costs to build than the expensive ones......

In addition to the slope of the land that you're looking at, the type of soil/ground that the land is sitting on will also have some effect on how steep you can build the house and its stability and hence the cost of constructing there (just being a slope that steep in itself would cost a lot before even considering the soil condition). You might want to see if you know anyone with experience in building in the area or find a qualified geotechnical engineer to assist.

Just an engineering point of view. :)

I know that most people say it costs a lot extra to build on a sloping site. my experience is that this view is not necessarily correct. the right design can be very similar in cost. one has to design to suit the site. so it really depends on the type of home that you want, rather than just purely the nature of the block. 27 years building on sloping sites. leighton clark

Back