Simple Subdivision Quote

Hi all,

The project I am looking to undertake is as follows, and would love some feedback from those who have done the same or similar jobs.

We have an existing block of land with an old house in Adelaide. The block measures 16.38m x 45.34m = 742.8sqm, and is in the Port Adelaide/Enfield Council region. We are looking to subdivide right down the middle, and know this should be OK as a sales person at Homestead Homes is doing the same thing (identical sized block, same council area).

I have just received a quote from the "Consultancy Firm" as follows;

Lands Titles Office : $1,280 (lodge of 2x new titles, inc RTU or RTC)
DA Commission : $1,017 (application)
DA Commission : $4,125 (open space reserve fund) !!!?
SA Water : $2,890 (water)
SA Water : $5,231 (sewer)

Consultancy Firm : $4,290 (planning consultancy, surveying, & legal documentation)
Consultancy Firm : $2,220 (for project management of the above)

Total : $21,053

Being that we are currently living in NSW, I'm not sure I can really get out of paying the "Consultancy Firm" the money they're after to take care of it all for me. (Any ideas anyone?).
Other than that, does the rest "seem" about right for a simple 1 to 2 subdivision? The block is straight and level, pretty simple I would have thought.
The consultancy firm also believes it would be about $10K for demolition costs.

Just after anyone else's experience with this topic for reference.

Thanks,
Andrew.

There's not much you can do about the $2200 for project management. Being from interstate, it is important you have someone based where your site is, who has the local knowledge, etc. This fee is only a portion of the money you save in the whole process by engaging those services. I would look into the 'open space reserve fund' though - it seems a bit subjective. Get your Project Manager to negotiate with council on this.

You should be able to get a quote for the demolition work from a demolition contractor. Your PM should know one. Otherwise, I have a few contacts you could try here.

I assume you are removing the house. What are your demolition costs?

Good luck

TB

G'day,
Yes we'll need to demolish the existing house first. I have a quote of around $8,500 (not 100% firm yet) - does that sound about right??

Also, just on that, is getting permission from Council pretty easy in regards to demolishing a house by myself, or would it be easier just to get the Builder to take care of everything (or the other PM company for that matter).?

Andrew.

Wow I must have property in the wrong place! A subdivision (one into two lots) of one of my properties involves council contribution fees of over $20,000; that's not even beginning to consider planning/surveying/council application/civil engineering/construction costs!

Same here in Coorparoo, priced dividing two blocks into four and Council take $20K per house (including the two existing ones) plus $20K extra for power to the blocks. So before we pay anything else, $100K already gone.

Same here in Coorparoo, priced dividing two blocks into four and Council take $20K per house (including the two existing ones) plus $20K extra for power to the blocks. So before we pay anything else, $100K already gone.

OMG!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Gippsland area is where i mainly operate. Water and sewerage is around $5500, $800 for additional power for second block, $1500 council and engineering fees, Surveyor takes around $600 if its non-survey. Legals and title fees are around $1000. So some change from $10k. At the moment i'm chopping 2 into 4 blocks. Looking around $35k only because there is an extention of the sewer main required and the electricity work falls under a different financial code. I have friends doing the same in melbourne and are paying a considerable amount more than what i pay. Having said that, property prices are much higher than the gippsland region.

Hi Oscar.
Glad to hear that. I've got a house with a 960m2 block down there in Traralgon which i'm looking to subdivide to 2 or 3 and build units.

I've never done a subdivision before, did yours all work out OK, any problems from council etc?

Thanks.

Hi Oscar.
Glad to hear that. I've got a house with a 960m2 block down there in Traralgon which i'm looking to subdivide to 2 or 3 and build units.

I've never done a subdivision before, did yours all work out OK, any problems from council etc?

Thanks.

I tend to stick to vacant land. A house on a block is too messy for me. Happy to help out if needed. PM me. :)

Subdivision Sydney

Hey

I am thinking about doing this in the Western Suburbs of Sydney. Holroyd Council. Vacant block. Flat. A torrens division. Will I be out of pocket $100,000?

All advice gratefully received as this is my first go and I am scared!!!!!

Lucky:eek:

and I am scared!!!!!

I wouldn't even think about it if i were in your position. No offence but you need to build up your knowledge in massive amounts first. Beginning a sub with such a mindset may be a potential disaster.

To build your knowledge base track your local surveyor, he/she may be able to help. :)

Hello all,
We are also in the process of subdividing our PPOR.
Just wondering...why there is such high Council's contrubution fees?
Does it apply to every council?
If there is an existing dwelling which we will demolish...what other costs should we consider apart from Architect Fees and Surveyor fees for a 3 unit development (Note: We will keep one as PPOR, and rest two will be IPs)
Thanks in advance.

Hello all,
We are also in the process of subdividing our PPOR.
Just wondering...why there is such high Council's contrubution fees?
Does it apply to every council?
If there is an existing dwelling which we will demolish...what other costs should we consider apart from Architect Fees and Surveyor fees for a 3 unit development (Note: We will keep one as PPOR, and rest two will be IPs)
Thanks in advance.

Have a look at my original message to get a detailed look at relevant costs. This is for normal metro Adelaide area. I would be interested in getting costs from other far more experienced people than myself with regards to subdivision costs and what people did etc.

Andrew.

Have you factored in the Architect/Draftman fees?
In my case, i am paying $8800 to an Architect who will be managing the entire DA process..as in talking to councils etc...

G'day Agleave & All,

I am currently working with a Surveying Consultant in NE suburbs and we have put an application to TTG Council to knock over an old house on 1050sqm at Ridgehaven. Looking at putting three stand alone, two storey townhouses on the block under community title (one house front left, and two at the rear but facing the front of block. I didn't have enough block width to put the drive down one side and t/houses down the other.

Your breakdown of fees and charges are eerily identical to mine.....only out by a few cents!!

This initial breakdown of fees is without final architect / builders design in place; so this will cost extra when the time comes to actually approach a builder to design something appropriate.

The initial application to TTG has been along the lines of a hypothetical proposal. So far we have had to make some minor ammendments to 'overtaking space' in driveway, stormwater run off and privacy screens on balconys.

I'll keep you updated as any further news comes to hand.

Cheers, Ian.

p.s.

Having the Surveying Consultant on board has been a good thing as I don't have the time, or frame of mind presently to follow the administration required to put the PA & DA together as well as have the discussions with Council.

If I was in SA and not working at my J.O.B. 5000kms away I would do it myself for the learning experience. So at the moment i'm taking small steps and just emailing and phoning to stay in touch every now and then.

I think if I were to head down the path of having him act as Project Manager when the time comes might also be money well spent at this juncture.

Ian.

Back