Twitter

No time for twitter but I love FB. It's great to be able to keep in contact with friends but without having to telephone all the time. Look at photos, videos etc

We all use FB now for events invitations, it's so convenient. If you can't make it you just decline and no need to call and give a reason.

No need to send mass sms when babies are born, just update on FB.

I'm gonna be so bored at the hospital, have already got my prepaid dial up internet card to surf in my private room. Shame I can't upload pics or watching streaming with dial up. Hubby also loaded my lap top with the latest movies.

Twitter started out as a status update service, but is far more than that now. It is now partly a micro-blogging platform (140 characters to get your point of view across), but mostly it is an online community. Much like Somersoft is really.

It's about conversation, information, and being connected. It's about taking the long-winded emails / forum posts / news items, etc ... and distilling them down into bite-sized morsels of information that you can graze on and pick and choose which you want to consume in more detail. It's about being connected and connecting to people. It's about sharing information and knowledge. It's about sharing experiences and recommendations.

For someone who is a self-employed freelancer like myself - it has become a critical part of networking and keeping in touch with the community I work in. If I need something, I can ask the community and they will find it for me. If I find something interesting myself, there's bound to be someone else in the community who will also find it interesting.

I still use Facebook to connect with family and friends, I still use a blog to publish more detailed information, and I still use forums for focussed and more in-depth discussion. Twitter ties them all together somewhat and gives me an overview of what's happening.

PS. my Twitter profile is at http://twitter.com/SimonHampel

I also have bots set up posting new thread notifications from InvestEd and ZooChat at http://twitter.com/InvestEd and http://twitter.com/ZooChat

i am only just getting into this twitter thing... (now following sim!) and i am struggling to see the benefits, but i am all for embracing new technologies so i am onto it.

Our agency now also has a facebook page which i am currently launching.... mainly to try to target some of the younger market who are too scared to ask their stupid questions face to face... they can simply post them on our wall and we will write back. Also putting in related articles, local market info etc....

any thoughts on what somersofters might think would be usefull on the page would be well received. actually maybe i will put up a link to the forum :)

Thought I'd update this thread with some people of who's 'tweeting' that I've come across...

@theRealKiyosaki (Robert Kiyosaki)
@kimkiyosaki (Kim Kiyosaki)
@Renoqueen (Jane Slack-Smith - aka Buzz on the forum)
@michaelyardney (Michael Yardney - who does reply to you too BTW)
@freedomevents (Peter Spann)

Back